Minneapolis ZTU help required

CarolinaMatt

New User
Hey all, first time posting but have read many threads on these forums over the last few years as a guest and always found what I needed!

I'm in process of getting my '48 ZTU running again after more than ten years and having some issues which I can't find direct answers for.

The tractor is as originally equipped - 6V with generator, magneto, battery, starter and lights. The old adage "it ran when parked" is definitely applicable.

Got good gas to the carb but the plugs are dry. Compression is good and the carb has been cleaned and serviced. Is there a work around or anything I can try (or am obviously missing?) I've tried removing the air intake head and covering the inlet, a trick which works on my smaller Deere machines but it's not having the same result on the Minneapolis. Not super eager to attempt to hand crank the machine if I can avoid it - I have no experience with it and equally uneager to take a trip to the emergency room.

My other issue is that the starter button gets pretty darn hot whenever the battery is connected, even if I only try to crank it a couple of times. Searched for a wiring diagram but could only find ones for coil/distributor or one-wire alternator, so does anyone have a correct one for my machine with magneto and generator, or know a fix for my starter button is heating up?

Thanks in advance,
CM

One of my guesses is the valves aren't really sealing. Also, what shape is the intake manifold and gaskets in?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back