Misc. 885 DB questions

ScottNC

Have a short list of questions regarding an 885 DB...

It has a loader. There is the number 22 and the word "LOADER" on it with no other I.D. It has a big knob down low on the rear loader mount (right in front of your feet) that evidently unscrews releasing what looks to be a hook or latch for removal. There are two 2" X 3" X 3' long rectangular tubes with bent flat stock welded to both ends that are supposed to be used on the loader either when or while the loader is off or both. The previous owner had no clue. A little guidance on removing this loader and the use of the tubes please?

I thought the tractor had brakes when I test drove it... it does not. Glad nothing was behind be when rolling off the trailer last night. Pedals are hard when like they should work. Where to start to access the brakes for inspection? Are they before or after the drop boxes?

The original alternator has been replaced with a GM, the late 80's, early 90's version with the plastic rear bearing holder that you have to unsolder the field wires to disassemble. I guess it works okay but the volt meter is below 12 volts until the engine speed is over 1400. Is this a common swap? If it is, what needs to happen to get the thing to charge at idle?

Turns out the tractor has the Laycock clutch. Good? Bad? The PTO clutch does not disengage. Have the shop manual info, is there anything noteworthy to look out for with this clutch versus the Borg and Beck style?

What's up with no oil pressure gauge? Whatever warning lights this thing had are MIA. A quick look-see did not reveal a sending unit. The temp gauge doesn't worth either, same question; where'd they stick the sender?

The thermostart is there but I can't tell if it works. I suspect the ignition switch is a replacement. The window of key movement from the "on" position to "crank" is so small I can not hold it in hat window without bumping the starter. How do I test to tell if the thermostart is working or not. Is there an easy way to determine if I have the right switch?

Hope this isn't too much for one post. Thanks!

Guess my questions were too involved or something.

Found what I needed on the loader in the Implement forum and Utube. Will take the GM alternator to a specialty shop for testing and get their thoughts on how it is currently wired. Will read through the online PDF operators manual to see if I can figure out if the thermostart is working. Upon review it does appear to have the correct ignition switch. The PDF should explain what dash light does what (all my lights are missing) and then backtrack the wiring hopefully to the sending units. Ditto the PDF manual for the brakes.

If the Thermostart is working you should see the battery voltage drop heavily when you activate it. As far as the brakes, yes, you have to pull the outer hub IIRC. I ran a mechanical oil pressure gauge on my DB990. Idiot lights are poor tools IMO. Same for the temp gauge. Check the manuals for clutch settings. Also check out the DB tractor club forum, they know it all on DB's. https://dbtc.co.uk/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=742377d0aa85f2a2d25039b3bb0b685a

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back