More Icehouse Talk

Brian G. NY

This is the local creamery about 1914.
It was the second one on this site.
The first one burned in 1911.
The third one burned in the early thirties.
A beautiful creamery.....a not so beautiful
ice house next to it.
9183.jpg

I love the covered loading dock in the photo, ride all the way to the creamery in the open, rain, sun, snow whatever, but your covered once ya get there!

(quoted from post at 02:02:35 01/16/18) Brian, was that up in the Fulton area??
Loren

Yep....Hamlet of West Fulton, right across the crik from the one room school house I attended for my first five years of school.
The concrete foundation and the concrete surrounding the dug well are still there.

Looks like the milk can on the wheelbarrow would tip over when moved. There were carts with bigger steel wheels for carrying milk cans, I'm pretty sure the larger 2 wheels on the 3 wheel cart I made came from a milk can cart.

I have a milk can wheelbarrow here that Dad had made before I can remember and am now 74. it is a single wheel and holds 2 cans and bed of it is about 8" from ground, over the wheel was spot made to carry milker.

I wonder if the guy with the wheelbarrow lived in town and had only a cow or two and this was the extent of his production?

I remember seeing those milk carts when I was a kid.

I remember that there was one of those milk can carts up at the farm, but it had rubber tires on it. Something like a 4.00x18 or 20. In it'd second life, it was used to carry bags of feed around, and a barrel was placed on it and filled with feed, and wheeled around in front of the cows to grain them. It was a bit wide, and slid into the manger a lot though. I don't know what happened to it. Might still be up there somewhere hiding in a corner.
Loren

There will be ice cutting on the mill pond in E. Meredith, NY on Saturday Feb. 3 from 10 am to 3 pm. This is at Hanford Mills Museum. We are
planning to go. Will be our first time to an ice cutting, our second time to HMM. Quite a place.
Ice cutting event

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back