More Stuff I Didn't Know

Hoby

A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.

A crocodile cannot stick out its tongue.

A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours.

A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.

A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.

A snail can sleep for three years.

Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.

All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the
back of the $5 bill.

Almonds are a member of the peach family.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

Babies are born without kneecaps. They don't appear until the child
reaches 2 to 6 years of age.

Butterflies taste with their feet.

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds. Dogs only have about 10.

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".

February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full
moon.

In the last 4,000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.

If the population of China walked past you, in single file, the line
would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

If you are an average American, in your whole life, you will spend an
average of 6 months waiting at red lights.

It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.

Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.

Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, or
purple.

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never
stop growing.

Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite .

Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.

"Stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand and
"lollipop" with your right.

The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.

The cruise liner, QE2, moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel
that it burns.

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and
a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

The sentence: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every
letter of the alphabet.

The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid.

The words 'race car,' 'kayak' and 'level' are the same whether they are
read left to right or right to left (palindromes).

There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

There are more chickens than people in the world.

There are only four words in the English language which end in "dous":
tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.

There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels in
order: "abstemious" and "facetious."

There's no Betty Rubble in the Flintstones Chewables Vitamins.

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.

TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on
one row of the keyboard.

Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks;
otherwise it will digest itself.

Turtles can breathe through their butts. GIVE THAT SOME THOUGHT..

I've tried to sneeze without closing my eyes and it doesn't work!! On the eyes being full size at birth, Susan Sarandon's and Leslie Ann Warren's must have been awesome!! If you travel I95 in Va., north of Richmond, you can spend a month sitting in traffic in only a week!!

I have read that if the population of China marched past you FOUR ABREAST, at double speed the line would never end. As for rhymes for "Orange" how about "door hinge"! And one last thing to add. Ants not only outnumber people on earth, but they collectively OUT WEIGH us!

If they were 4 abreast, marching, walking past you, in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction? OH yea? How could they reproduce while walking or marching?

Rick

Did you know that you can reduce the sentence using every letter in the alphabet by 2 letters if you drop one of the 'the's and use 'a' instead?

Ben

"Sporange" is a word. According to the Nestle Quick can.

The keyboard is set up so that typewriter salesman could impress people by typing "typewriter" really fast.

Two dragonflies sitting in a bar, sipping a brew and smoking. One says to the other, "Man, if only I had known 23 hours ago what I know now."

Multiple sources state that the average lifespan of an adult dragonfly is in the 4 to 7 week range.

I dunno, man; I know a lotta stuff about a lotta stuff, but dragonflies? Not so much. Now I did know some barflies back in the day........

Change your name to Dori, likie Jon's funny?
a194208.jpg

Just fact-checked a few.

DaVinci did not invent scissors.

"strange" and "arrange" immediately come to mind as words that rhyme with "orange", at least the way I pronounce them.

There were only 48 states when the Lincoln Memorial was built; Alaska and Hawaii have not been added.

Then, when I was checking on the February 1865 "no full moon" statement, I came across this page:
Factoids Debunked

That's not the way I heard it. The keyboard was juggled to confuse the unlearned typist as the first machines were awkward and slow and doing that helped cover up the fact....."Remember the Alamo"....er ah "Remember the Underwood" and Royal....Royal was the machine of choice in my HS typing class; one of the best things that happened to me. Met my wife of 49 1/2 yrs. on the way out of class one day when I needed a date for the senior prom, and knew how to type when the computer and internet came along. In class I learned to type looking at a manuscript to the left of the machine. It took awhile to adjust to looking at the screen as I composed and typed.

here is one I never thought about

The Eisenhower interstate system requires
that one mile in every five must be straight.
These straight sections are usable as airstrips
in times of war or other emergencies.

One of the best decisions I ever made was taking a typing course as a Senior in high school.

Class was about 30 students total made up of 29 Freshman and Sophomore girls and 1 Senior boy - me.

My buddies gave me a lot of grief, but being able to type has been one of the best skills I ever learned.

Not true.

A drive through any metropolitan area, or through the mountains will prove this one wrong. Plus, when the interstate system was developed, there were many more airports and landing strips in the country than there are today; it's unlikely the interstate planners in the fifties even envisioned a need to land planes on freeways. Most pilots will not land on a highway unless there's no good alternative; in addition to vehicles, power lines and other obstructions can ruin your day.
Interstate highway FAQ

See the thing is, there are SO many of them they would have weeks and months before many would have to join the 'parade' So I guess you
can imagine how they would reproduce.

(quoted from post at 05:11:47 06/22/15) Not true.

A drive through any metropolitan area, or through the mountains will prove this one wrong. Plus, when the interstate system was developed, there were many more airports and landing strips in the country than there are today; it's unlikely the interstate planners in the fifties even envisioned a need to land planes on freeways. Most pilots will not land on a highway unless there's no good alternative; in addition to vehicles, power lines and other obstructions can ruin your day.
Interstate highway FAQ

Actually the interstate planner most likely knew that the interstate could be used in an emergency as an airfield. The Germans had used sections of the autobahn for just that during the last days of WWII. That had been in the news here in the US and IKE darn sure knew it. At the time it was pretty much common knowledge. They closed down those sections during flight operations. But I will agree that it most likely wasn't real important in the planning. By the time the interstate highways were started modern jet fighters required a good deal of support just to get off the ground and the bombers were much to large to use the roads.

Rick

Looks like you had a nice selection to choose a date for your prop if you didn't already have a "steady". Grin

Scissors and shears were probably dated back to the first blacksmith that had to cut a hyde . Way before Davinci. As soon as iron was pounded on an anvil there were scissors.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back