mounted picker on model B?

swindave

has anyone heard or seen a mounted corn picker on a model B?
I can't image a model B handling it very well. I heard a Farmall H could handle a 2-row mounted picker?
any stories?

For a John Deere B ; 1939 on , a JD 226 two row mounted corn-picker would fit and would work great with the old field corn populations.. The No-15 and 101 one row drawer-bar mounted pickers worked too..

Years ago a neighbor had a 127 on a late B,,seemed to get along okay,,but it was running 75 Bu @acre corn

Dad had a 227 (& maybe 226) on a 520, so almost. Then went to a 3010 when he got the mounted sheller in mid 70's. Ended up with a 237 before going to a small combine in 1974?. Northern Illinois. Rolling ground.

I had a JD 226 2 row mounted picker on a 49 B John Deere. Power wise no proble. Would over heat with antifreeze in, withot and just water did not over heat, if it would have the water pump probably would have taken care of that problem Only used it part of a season untill it broke to no repairing it. By that time neighbor said he would with his 2 row mounted picker open our fields for the single row pull type Oliver. Later had a 227 Picker on a 51 A and still no problem power wise. ran it for years and after we got a corn head for combine still picked with that 227 untill it broke and decided not to repair it. Both pickeres were a load weight wise for either tractor. Never had the 200+ bushels they are taking about now. Highest yield ever had was 165 bu with normal being around 125 bu per acre.It was back in the 80's when that 227 picker left broke down.

I don't think Deere recommended a 2 row mounted on a B. When using a two row mounted on an A you were supposed to install heavy duty axles. But I am sure there was lots of corn picked without the heavy axles. Tom

This one has been at the Le Sueur show a couple times.

mvphoto88422.jpg

Deere sales lit listed the 226 picker for a model B as well as A tractor but not for larger G tractor. Even parts books showed the different attachments used with the B tractor. I still have the books for both the 226 and 227 pickers but not the pickers since the 1980's.

Those were not a fully mounted picke but a semi mount with a wheel carring most of the picker and they picked the row to left of tractor and not under tractor as both the 226 and 227 pickers with 2 rows under tractor. The 127 was a single row fully mounted that was the left side of a 227 picker.

Not probably relevant to this discussion but my neighbor who passed and I helped their sister sell everything had a 50 or 60 that had a 227 picker mounted on it when new and tach read 641 hours I assume it was accurate.

My dad had a model 226 corn picker on his 1948 model B tractor.
It was mostly OK because neighbors had less-efficient pickers and tractors.
He caught it on fire once, and had to work pretty hard to put the fire out by himself.

He bought a Farmall M in 1956 and put a John Deere model 227 picker on it.
The 227 would have been too heavy for the John Deere B.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back