Mounting a Winch on my Trailer

super99

I have a new HF 12,000# winch for my gooseneck trailer, just never took time to install it. I bought a tractor about 30 miles away and it’s too cold to drive it home. Supposed to get it this weekend, but they are calling for rain or snow and the ramps get slick when wet, so I started installing the winch today. I had some 6” channel iron, decided 2 pieces were better than one for mounting it. Got them cut and welded onto the frame today, will attempt to drill holes and bolt it up tomorrow. It is unnerving to start up the ramps and then slide back down so now I can just hook onto it and pull it onto the trailer.
cvphoto66306.jpg

cvphoto66307.jpg

cvphoto66308.jpg

If you make Keyhole slots in the channel irons, you can remove the winch and keep it out of the weather and from theft! Jim

The very affordable remote will allow you to ride the tractor onto the trailer. Batteries in remote do not last forever! Don

Couple things I do,use a snatch block most times easier on the winch and slows the pull.Also usually end up cutting about 1/3 of the cable off to give the winch more power and keep from messing up on the spool.

Probably from the winch to the load, never had a winch before. It will be a learning experience.

Maybe someday, right now I just need it to work, that and it's awful heavy for a old guy to manhandle.

I ahve been thinking about buying one. I think I ll power it with welding lead and jumper cable clamps as I have the cable and the grandsons pull it too.

I think you will be ok, but it's bad to weld across the beam flange like that. A better way would have been to put the channels between the beams and weld them to the web or along the edge of the beam flange. In this case they are usually in compression so it shouldn't be a big deal, just keep that in mind.

I welded a receiver on the front of the floor on mine and made a receiver mount for the winch. I take it off when I don't need it. Works fine down low ad easy to remove and install. I think you are making it more difficult than it needs to be. I have loaded cars, trucks and tractors with it.

I agree, use a snatch block. I've even used two, if you have a tough pull or really want to slow things down. Hook one to the winch, the hook end of the cable & the other block's hook to the same point on what ever you want to move. It will move slowly, but I promise that what ever you are hooked to, it will come, unless it is "growed" in place.

Some friends put one HF winches on trailer found out not for continuse use. It has to have some cool down time between pulls.

Just remember whatever force it takes to pull your load is the force pulling your trailer and truck backwards and if the truck is in PARK, that is the force on the parking paul.

I have my winch mounted so it goes in my receiver. On my other truck I have a receiver on the front of my bed..

I made a bracket for the winch to be mounted onto. It has a 2" square tube that allows it be mounted either on my trucks hitch, or in a receptacle on the trailer. I even made a receptacle that mounts to the tractors. I then ran the cable thru a piece of pipe and then put the hook back on. I slide the pipe down to where the cable will be dragging against the beaver tail. It protects the cable from damage, but it also prevents you from pulling the cable all the way in.

I have one on our gooseneck with a wireless remote, the battery is mounted on the trailer, I also installed a solar charger to keep the battery charged, there is also a hot lead from the truck to the battery. It has been three years and everything is working as intended.
cvphoto66329.jpg

Tilt bed isn't the answer to all issues... I love mine, but in rain, equipment will still slide. I've got expanded metal in a 4' strip down the center, which is fine for forklifts, and scissor lifts, or even my little tractors, but anything that's outside that strip can slide on the wood deck. Couldn't walk an MF 135 up it last weekend without help. Of course, the solenoids on my winch bolted to the front decided to take the day off. Seller had to push with another tractor until I got past the tilt point.

So... Back on topic...
Let me suggest checking your winch gear in advance of a potential need... I knew I was picking it up a couple weeks out... Could have easily dealt with the winch in that time, but just let myself think everything was going to work as usual... Should have known, it is 2020 after all...

Same here....just welded a receiver hitch to the channel iron in the front of my trailer. Winch has the male end attached so just hook up and go.

JMHO but I fear you’re mounting it too high, when you’re just getting up on the trailer, it’s going to have such an angle that you may find it trying lift whatever you’re pulling off the bed, I would at least go ahead and fabricate a pivot pulley down closer to the floor of your trailer for when you need a low pull. Mine is mounted about 16” off the floor and with my 8’ ramps, I get the other extreme of the cable trying to dig in. SDE, I will be cutting a piece of pipe to follow what you have done, good idea! As for power, I have 2 group 31 batteries to power the pump for my ramps and the winch on the front, and a 4 gauge cable going up the neck to a plug in the bed to recharge them while driving.

cvphoto66364.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back