Mowing with the "B" Farmall and my mind running on

MNGB

Hi all, while out mowing I got to thinking about my recent health problems, I'm 72 until 18 months had zero problems in Nov 2015 I noticed a lump on my left fore arm near the elbow, so I went to the Doc and after Xrays an ultrasound many blood tests they didn'y know what it was sent me to a orthopedic Doc he ordered a MRI and then surgically removed it all is fine with that it turned out to be a rheumatoid nodule. But the blood test seem to indicate to my GP Doc that I was low on thyroid and he started me on synthetic thyroid, bad deal I started hurting sore muscles hurting joints etc could not convince the Doc that it thyroid medication was the cause, fast forward to last Jan Feb Mar worst time of my life I hurt so bad couldn't sleep could work in the shop just felt bad most days finally in May a different Doc put me on a tapering script for prednisone it worked I felt good for awhile, the Doc's were telling me I had rheumatoid arthritis and would have to go on Methotrexate. Very expensive no part D do to no problems before So I got off my duff and enrolled at the VA 3 weeks ago I am IMPRESSED never have had such good care excellent complete physical they got me into see a Rheumatologist in less than 2 weeks (was waiting for almost 3 months with the other clinic) and what an interesting time with the VA Doc turns out I don't have RA but do have osteoarthritis completely different medications so now to see how that works out have not started on the meds yet should be here tomorrow or Saturday.
I know some have had less than good results with the VA but my experience here in MN is 100% excellent OH bt the way i'm off that thyroid med the VA Doc said she would never have put me on it and my research showed that also. Sorry about the long rant but needed to say something.
GB in MN

Seems I've heard many stories where the medication was more of a problem than the problem. It is wise to read the paper work you get with your scripts. If anything sounds like what you are experiencing make some changes. jmop gobble

Glad you are having good results from the VA. I use the VA in Sioux Falls and have had excellent service from them.

I don't know what VA facility you went to, but I am in NW Iowa, and go to Sioux Falls VA. In my opinion they are wonderful! I had nightmares before going the first time, dungeon type buildings, with harsh medical personnel, etc. Nothing could have been further from the truth.

I'm going to visit the doctor next week. They will draw blood then send it to the hospital for about 7 tests on the blood. If my numbers for the test don't match up within 3 or 4 points of everybody else in the world I will need my medication adjusted to bring it in line with everybody else. Doc doesn't have an answer when I tell him I like being different.

Hi, I,m going to the St Cloud, MN VA facility and an outpatient clinic in Alexandria, MN One thing that has really impressed me is they would actually listen to my story and I have not got rushed in and out they have time to talk with you.
Yes Tom it is important that one read and understand the medication but if the Doc won't discuss with you the possiblity that your having a problem then its time to reseach on your own and that's when I found I should never have been on it but here again the Doc would not listen told it WAS NOT the thyroid med it was the RA WRONG on both things.
GB in MN
PS you can bet the Farm & tractor that I research any meds talked about now before I agree to take them

I agree with you MNGB. I use the VA in Battle Creek, MI. Very good treatment and good doctor.
He found that I have Hemochromotosis. My civilian doc would not have, because they do not include
that in their blood work-up.(per FDA) What I learned was there are many men with this condition and never know it.
When excessive iron destroys your liver or heart, the paper will list, 'liver failure' or 'heart attack'.
It is sad, because the cure is simple and no drugs needed.
Every man over 50 should know what their Serum Ferritim level is, at least once...The VA will do it..
ps, I am 74, my lifelong daily headaches went away and my energy level came up, when I got my iron level down in the 'ok' zone. ?

Hi ckain, I'm glad they found that for you and yes I did see that test in the report I was amazed they did over 20 tests in prep to go see the arthritis Doc.
I.m also glad your feeling much better it is nice isn't it.
GB in MN

I'm happy you're doing well with the VA. I will try to condense my dads experience. My dad just passed may 10th. Since my dad was a WW II POW, 18 months ago I was introduced to a VA doc that told me since the VA fiasco they are reaching out to vets, especially former POWS (FPOWS). He said they have a "pot" of benefits money for former POW's and all I had to do was fill out one form to get compensation for his assisted living expenses. Well, after 12 months of my work I had a stack of papers literally one foot thick. It took several examinations including a PTSD eval. forms indicating he did not have a job (94 yrs old with dementia), a form attempting to find prisonmates to corroborate his story, and his discharge papers (which he had after 70 yrs!!). They would not accept any diagnoses from his doctors so all test performed in the past had to be done over in VA hosp. He finally got compensation for his remaining 18 mos. If he was on his own or I was not savvy enough with PC and phone, etc he never would have gotten it. And, he could have got it a long time ago

Hi teddy52, 20 miles west of Alex right on I94, if you past this way look for the airstrip going straight north of the freeway and me on the Ford 641 mowing
GB in MN

Exactly. I have had higher than the "normal" BP since grade school. I finally have a doctor who says that not all people are the same. Several other cardiologists were bound and determined that I had to get it down to their "accepted" level. I felt terrible and anytime I bent down to lift something I got faint and legs turned to rubber. Some adjusting to my meds and things are much better now. I have had to have stents placed to prevent arteries from collapsing. That problem has lessoned now.
Loren

MNGB,
You have to be careful mowing with a Farmall. I have
the same problem when I mow with my zero turn farmall
C. When I done mowing the only part of my body
hurting is my face, I'm smiling too much while
mowing.
geo

Thanks Geoi-TH IN that is so true and then one can get into more trouble when the better half asks what have been up to
Another thanks Geo on the tip about castor oil while its a bit messy when first put on it does help.
GB in MN

My ferritin level is about 1400 and I am not a hemocrit.
How do I get the ferritin down without or with drugs?

I also deal primarily with St. Cloud VA- very satisfied. If you"re at the Alex clinic, you probably deal with my DIL- Christy...say hi next time you"re there.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back