My New baby! 1989 Ford 2810 II and Pic

OK so yesterday i serviced my new to me 1989 Ford 2810. Changed oil/filter, coolant, fuel filter/water separator, 2 new air filters, transmission oil, hydraulic oil / filter etc. The engine oil looked ok, fuel filter looked decent but the fuel separator was full of very black fuel with small particles of something in it and it was totally nasty looking, transmission oil was milky white, hydraulic oil was very dark color, coolant looked great, and outer filter was dirty but inner was very clean. Tractor has 440 original hours so some of the stuff was first time being done. Fuel separator had never been apart but fuel filter had been replaced. Air filters were original cause they were made in 1988. So overall nothing terribly bad except fuel separator looked very rough and transmission apparently had some condensation in it. Anyway i had ran tractor before service and it cranked and ran ok but loped at idle a little and always has some light smoke coming from the exhaust. Now the lope is totally gone and the black smoke seems to be a little better but it still smokes some all the time where my other Fords seem to almost stop once your going (unless you load up the engine). Should i be concerned with the light amount of black smoke? What could cause this? I know this tractor has not ran much in years and when it did it was not used long just by the hours on the tach. Also there is a small amount of oil residue below the manifold so not sure what that is about. Oil around the head gasket too so I may need to replace some seals due to limited use. Overall the tractor looks about new and is in amazing condition. All original tires except for one front was replaced, all pedals show very very little wear and theres hardly any rattle can paint on this tractor. Everything is original except he's painted the muffler a silver color at some point in time. It is an original muffler though or OEM as it says Ford on the side.

Update:

The above was from a early post this weekend but wanted to update this info to include a picture. This tractor is an amazing find especially for the price. I've spent the last 30-36 months looking but have finally found the ONE. I am Ford tractor crazy and working on building my collection. Next is a low hour 4610 SU Series II. More to follow.

9470.jpg

Nice looking tractor. The black oil that you see around the manifold is called slobbering. You need to really work the tractor hard so the engine heats up and the oil rings will clean the cylinder walls.

Very nice tractor! I acquired a 1989 Ford 5610-II about 4 months ago, and coincidently it's [u:e1036c832e]exactly[/u:e1036c832e] 50 years newer than me! I was born on 01/16/39, and it came off the line on 01/16/89. LOL
Dave

Re. Smoke...

I think I would go ahead and take the mower in the picture and go find a couple of acres of good thick long stuff and give it a good workout for a few hours. Bet it clears up.

Of course YMMV,

Kirk

Im thinking so to. I have 7 acres to mow on a river bottom full of thick tall weeds and grass. Will be the perfect job for her. :)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back