My version of today or this week in PA - eastern NY

Billy NY

Well a few odds and ends, darned beaver are at it again, did some mowing, lush greens, sweet smelling grass, some milk weed creeping in, be nice hay, this is 2nd cut, field would usually produce a 3rd, some weeds, so maybe not for horses, could spray for broad leaf, lime, fertilize etc. south facing hill, been in sod since the late 60's nice loam soil. The other day, nice cloud went by. Loader on a tractor is just a must have around here, sure they can get in the way, but most times they are getting something out of the way, this wet log would have hurt or killed someone, its in the old cow path from behind were one of our old barns were. A shot of the 20 acre pond and anyone know what that plant is in the photo.. I know... but thought I'd throw that in there to see if anyone recognizes it.

Sure that's an LP tank strapped to the back, certain times I carry it, to refuel, in clean fields, used to carry in the bucket, rather have it on the back, falls off, no worry, falls of the front and I don't see it, that's a problem, some may not like it, it don't bother me, there's one in my face anyway, over the engine, piece of 3/4 plywood under it.
a165355.jpg

a165357.jpg

a165358.jpg

a165359.jpg

a165360.jpg

a165362.jpg

a165363.jpg

a165364.jpg

a165365.jpg

a165366.jpg

a165367.jpg

a165368.jpg

a165369.jpg

a165370.jpg

LOL, haha uh nope, if that was around here I am sure the flyboys would find it, they just had a Lakota out scanning an overgrown section of part of an old field, other side of the hedgerow, a big section where they can't build, was just last week. Funny, we used to bale that field, I'd love to get permission to use whats left again, grew nice hay, beautiful stand of orchard for years and years.

Definitely nettles, have not seen that plant since I was a kid, they like old barnyards, and that was about where this patch was, years ago, same thing, old barn yard, rich soil, formic acid prickers, I was walking through them went to brush them away to walk through, wow !!! instant reminder, gone soon after, but I forgot how immediate the reaction is !

Funny, it has textile and culinary use, great source of vitamin A, UK, there is a nettles eating contest !!! Can't even imagine that !

curious about your beaver damn - and your laws in NY. My wife's aunt has a 20 acre pasture that got totally flooded because of beavers.

But she's not allowed to do anything about it.

She can't kill the beavers, and she can't rip out the dam - she has to just ride her horses around in the little 2 acre area she has left.

Personally I think I'd pay those beavers a visit under the cover of night - but either way - just some laws are just crazy. Wondering if it's like that in NY too.

JR, my neighbor had a beaver dam that was flooding his property. NYS conservation allowed him to trap them. It was also flooding across the county road so that may have contributed to their demise! Greg

Larry ,you can stop up anytime I can show you some blue tractors! There is a tractor show next week in Roseboom, NY on the 16th and 17th. Its free so bring your tractor! They have all colors represented and they have a tractor parade. Greg

Certainly ! Landscape may not compare to PA though, LOL, but its different, so is this years garden..... might have to throw a tarp over it LOL !!!

I'm actually unsure would have to read what DEC says about it, would think if a nuisance, be ok to remove. I've had good look undoing their work, they can't really flood anything in this spot, it will never hold, a good rain will have the stream flowing,and there is not enough basin, its a frugal attempt, sometimes they do that, just open it up and usually that's it, this one was surprising to see. Possible upstream, but just too much to contain, they've never attempted it, however it is a basin and there is a lot of material they could use, I'll keep an eye out, that would be a disaster. The pond in the photo was a marsh, old aerial photos really show it, beaver dammed up the culvert under the road, got so bad it compromised the causeway, they put sheet piling in, huge rubble/rock, when they re built the road years later, they put a new culvert in and a means to block beaver and control the water, we own the pond, funny how the state literally flooded it, couple turns on the crank they could drain it just the same. Its literally one of the most productive wetlands in the county as DEC agent once told me, the geese decimated almost 15 acres of corn adjacent to it though.

Billy NY,

Great photos. It's really beautiful in your area. The shot with the pond/sky is really neat.

JR Sutton, She can kill them and she can destroy the dam. Just needs a permit from NYS DEC. She can trap them with a normal furbearers license during normal season.

If her land is a designated wetland or adjoins one she may have a problem.
Have her call her local Game Warden,or the local DEC office.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back