neighbors renter damaging fence post

I can see this happening farming in the suburbs, but with 10,000 acres, what’s he doing up against the property line?

I can see this happening farming in the suburbs, but with 10,000 acres, what’s he doing up against the property line?
For one thing, it's not 10,000 acres in one giant field. We have no idea how large this field is or what shape it is. Small odd shaped fields, large equipment, and inexperienced operators are a breeding ground for mistakes. The important thing is the farmer fix the mistake.

For another thing, they're paying for X acres, so they're going to till X acres. They didn't pay for the land to let it sit fallow and grow up to brush. They sure as heck aren't going to pay a guy to run around maintaining property lines when all the tillage guy has to do is move over 3' and the job is done.

not venting here as I know things happen.
neighboring fields are rented out to a big farming operation (10,000ish acres). when we bought the property it was parceled off so it had fresh survey markers. our parcel was partially farmed before and is a bit odd shaped so to protect the markers I put in treated fence posts so they didn't get plowed up/damaged.

of course what do they do? they plow up the post. but somehow they missed the survey marker pin by inches but the post is sheared off at ground level.

is it a big deal/end of the world? no. should they be more careful? YES. do accidents happen? Yep.

I have not called them yet to talk to them about fixing it (I'm sure they are very busy right now). Yes, i could go buy another post and put it in. but i'm getting a "bit" older and tired and really don't feel like digging the old one out and putting a new one in, physically speaking, as that is some work. plus if i don't say anything the farmer won't know it happened (who ever was driving knew it happened as they put the white plastic pipe back in place) and won't remind his guys to watch out.
My expectation is they replace the post with new and install it or pay someone to do that. I don't think that is unreasonable. THoughts?

thanks.
Xwhatever, I would be talking to the neighbor not the renter. Driving an iron below grade is also a great idea.

I have a new farmer next to my property that my house is on. This spring when it was sprayed, my grass got killed about three feet, OK, but my house is close. When they sent the field cultivator to prep for planting, he saw the dead grass so that got worked up and seeded to corn. Now I should talk to someone to get this nonsense corrected. I have been here 7 years and the other farmers never sprayed my grass or tried to farm my property.
DWF
I agree dwf. It's not all about the 3 ft. It's the principle. If that hired man can't keep that 60 ft cultivator where it belongs then get a different man or give him some training.

How about a plastic pic pipe to replace the post with a orange tile intake slid over the top, easier to see, and maybe the operator will think its a tile intake and keep more distance?

First of the summer. Probably a high school kid on a 30 foot disk. Hard to judge sometimes. Either they get too far away and leave a strip of 6 foot tall weeds along the property line or they get so close that they push a ridge of dirt along the line making it hard to mow if you have it in pasture. If you had a fence there then more problematic. If you plant on your side then both have to watch it. Just keep a post out there to protect survey pins so the kids and grandkids will know when you are long gone.

The fields next to us is not that big. infact the neighbors farm all together is about 80 acres and that is broken up into 4-35 acre bits when you account for all the ditches which i suspect he is paying rent for.
in north East Ohio to get 10,000 acres is a big deal. he farms about anything he can get his hands on. The field next to the post he plowed up is only about 4 acres hardly big enough to turn his stuff around

I have a new farmer next to my property that my house is on. This spring when it was sprayed, my grass got killed about three feet, OK, but my house is close. When they sent the field cultivator to prep for planting, he saw the dead grass so that got worked up and seeded to corn. Now I should talk to someone to get this nonsense corrected. I have been here 7 years and the other farmers never sprayed my grass or tried to farm my property.
DWF
spraying chemicals on you is just as bad, especially if close to the house. its your yard so if you want to mow their corn down you have every right to. problem is YOUR yard is dead now. next year they may come over another 3 feet.

i my case here in another corner of the property they do come over and plant a couple rows on me. I put another post in mid way between the markers on that line but they still sweep in-between and till and plant a bit. maybe a 1/16th of an acre. I guess I need another post between that one and the corner. doesn't bother me too much don't like others taking liberties especially since that corner post is very obvious. when i'm mowing if i need to go out and turn around on my property i do regardless of their crops. no i don't drive over them on purpose but i have no contract with them so i have no obligation.

How about a plastic pic pipe to replace the post with a orange tile intake slid over the top, easier to see, and maybe the operator will think its a tile intake and keep more distance?
Having hit my share of bright orange tile intakes that won’t help much they are used to judging how high the boom is to pass over or straddle between the wheels. It’s more likely to get sprayed over the top and get the weeds killed so that’s maybe a plus.

First of the summer. Probably a high school kid on a 30 foot disk. Hard to judge sometimes. Either they get too far away and leave a strip of 6 foot tall weeds along the property line or they get so close that they push a ridge of dirt along the line making it hard to mow if you have it in pasture. If you had a fence there then more problematic. If you plant on your side then both have to watch it. Just keep a post out there to protect survey pins so the kids and grandkids will know when you are long gone.
I appreciate what your saying bc but anymore farmers or hired help take no pride in their work. I rented my farm out 4 yrs. ago but when I was farming I rarely used a disk but when I did I went real slow along road ditch so I wouldn't throw the slabs down the ditch. Likewise the neighbors fence or lawn. When going around a post or hyline pole in the field if I saw I was 6 ft away I turned around and made another pass only closer. If I was to close and saw I was going to hit the neighbors corner post I backed up and moved over. Teach that high school kid to slow down along the neighbors and if your to far away make another pass only closer. But I suppose your right. If the kid running the disk slows down his boss with the 36 row planter will run him over. All anyone cares about anymore is quantity not quality. Enough said, I have to go out and feed my chickens and I assure you I will do the best job I can.

One thing I have seen be successful is the neighbor who has a machinery pasture so to speak the equipment will keep a wide birth from they want nothing to do with tangling up in an old field cultivator. Posts don’t scare them or rocks or buildings for that matter. so just 6 in on your side of the marker pull the pin on some yard art and let them smack it

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back