new 135, oil pan, oil filter, serial # questions

beernuts

New User
I just acquired a 1973 Massey 135 diesel this last weekend. I sold my 1967 multipower and bought this gear drive model. I have heard in the past that in the early 70's that some improvements were made to the oil pan seal and rear main seal. I did notice that when I ran a search and looked at the rebuild kits for this engine that it listed a 2 pc. rope seal, did all 135's have a rope seal on the oil pan? For some reason I was thinking that some had the more desirable lip seal? If there were improvements in design, what were they? Also did any of the Massey 135's come with a factory spin-on oil filter? mine still has a canister on it for now, but I am going to replace it....any suggestions on where to get these from.

I would like to get examples of model year tractor vs. engine serial numbers to try and determine if the engine in my tractor is original. I assume that the perkins numbers were sequential. My tractor is 9A177376 (1973 model) and my engine serial is 152UA344002D.

The tractor has a slight miss at the moment, with no smoke. It sat for some time. I removed the injectors to have them tested at scheid diesel and I have removed the valve cover for inspection of valve tolerances, clean as whistle inside. I pick up my manuals on Friday in the meantime can anyone confirm .012 setting on valves cold (I/E)? My dad and I are going to pressure up the cylinders to check for leakage past the valves. Seemed like a pin to remove tank etc. I am used to working on my old WD.....simple and lots of room. I love these masseys though

Thanks in advance for any answers...always appreciated[b:fbea5c306e][/b:fbea5c306e]

A dealer should have the oil filter adaptor. Probably about $25 or so. I think they did change the seals in later models. A 135 is still a very simple tractor to work on most stuff. Dave

For uk built tractors the lip seal was fitted from approx 1975 and the spin on oil filter from 1974
Tractors fitted with lip seals have DL after the engine number rather than just D
Also later tractors have 35 degree valves rather than the 45 degree valves, engine power was uprated from 45.5 to 47 hp also
Regarding engine numbers i have one here that was new in november 1973 engine number is 34523D with canister filter so that fits in well with the date of yours

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back