New Bat Wing

Dean

Yesterday, I used my new 15' batwing mower for the first time after the right side gearbox had been replaced with the correct CCW unit. Tried it about three weeks ago only to discover that the right spindle was rotating CW rather than CCW, as designed. As you can imagine, it didn't cut with a D on the right side.

Before buying this Woods BW-15.50 unit with 8 used aircraft tires and light kit, I shopped just about all brands. I do not need a 15' BW and really wanted the new Land Pride Heavy Duty 12' model but it was simply too expensive. With 6 new aircraft tires and optional over running clutch (really wanted that) it would have cost me at least $2,500 more than did my 15' 15.50 with 8 AC tires and $300 optional light kit. Lights are standard equipment on the LP but the ORC was an (about $400) option, not available from anyone else so far as I know.

Took some time to get things dialed in but pleased once I had. Cuts close and well, more closely and better than does the Woods BB840X, 7' cutter that I had been using temporarily prior to purchasing a BW.

I no longer clear ground so was cutting only grass and annuals and was rolling along at about 6 MPH in the flat, smooth areas. Cutting was superb, even at 1". 6 MPH with the 7' mounted cutter is right at the edge of poor cutting with the 7' cutter even at 600 PTO RPM. Could have mowed faster but would have needed to change from low range 6th gear to high range 1st gear precluding gearing down for turns, rough spots, etc., without stopping to change ranges.

Pulls rather easily. My 90 PTO HP Kubota M9960 hardly knew it was back there at about 2,000/52/30 engine/PTO RPM. With the 7' cutter, I used EPTO, resulting in about 600 PTO RPM at about 1,750 engine RPM. Engine worked harder as it's far from 90 PTO HP at 1,750 engine RPM. Used about 4 gallons in 3+ hours. Probably would have used as much or more with the 7' cutter in EPTO, as job would have taken longer.

Overall, rather pleased, but will likely set mower up an inch or so as afraid that cutting so closely may kill grass given how dry things are here.

Dean

Purchased a used Rhino SR15 a few years ago, my first bat wing.
Like you I wanted a 12 ft model but no used ones at a reasonable price.
My front skids are on the ground at 4" cut height, I don't mow my lawn below 2".
I don't mow with a rotary cutter much faster than 5 mph but my Ford 6610 handles it fine.

Well that is the second one I have heard of coming from the factory with the wrong wing box .Had a customer that ran one for 4 years some time ago without knowing it was wrong, he just assumed it did not cut good on that side. When we looked the blades recognized the problem. Seems the dealer was just a little high on the Land Pride for there to be that much difference, however that 12 ft. is priced so high that most folks do buy the 15 if their tractor will handle it . You got a good warranty on the woods box and the cutter stands up good. Have had a few folks that did not release the slip clutch the next year and had some problems. Glad you KUBOTA is doing the job for you.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back