New equipment assembled wrong

tomstractorsandtoys

It is interesting how much equipment has been set up incorrectly. I recently bought a Deere 237 mounted corn picker that was sold new on a 3020. When I went to put it on my 2510 I realized the row unit mounting toggles were in the wide position which was for two cylinder tractors as they need to be wider for clutch clearance. You can move your wheels in a little more in the narrow position which will help with knocking over corn in the next row if the planter driver cheated some on row spacing. When I hear people complain about an implement not working I often wonder if was setup correctly by the dealer and if it is adjusted properly by the owner. Neighbor had a disc he bought new that always threw a center ridge. Turns out the rear gang assembly spacing was wrong. Tom

I bought a fertilizer spreader for a three point hitch, When I went to use it , it threw the fertilizer onto the tractor. I emptied it and took it back. There was a plate that moved in the bottom of the unit to control the amount of fertilizer being distributed. It sat on another plate that directed the fertilizer to the back or left or right. The plates had been put in wrong and there was no way it would work. The dealer got it set up right and it worked great after that.

I was a Freshman in 1960 and worked for local JD dealer. He had me doing everything. Once I was assembling cotton pickers and didn't have a clue. Instructions didn't help me a lot. I'm sure they were all wrong. LOL That may be what happen to your corn picker.

Very often the set-up crew are inexperienced hires--many times very young, even teenagers, who might not understand assembly instructions, or not bother to read them. And, there's occasionally one who simply doesn't care!

A lot of it is part time/seasonal help.

When my father-in-law was still alive and well, and farming, he worked winters for our local IH dealer setting up new machinery. I don't know if he ever screwed anything up or not.

He never drew his pay, he just had the dealership credit his account with it. Then the next year he would have a big positive balance on his account to draw on while he farmed.

Quality of work force has really gone down hill. Especially on the younger generation (I am middle age). Just in the last 27 years since I have graduated high school, the general high school graduate has got less working ability on a mental stand point, and are twice as lazy. The sad thing is, it has gotten to be so expected that even a sharp one hides thier mental ability because if they let that be known, they will just end up getting a position that is more complicated and harder to do for not much more pay.

Our neighbor was a big John Deere owner and a savy mechanic. He would occasionally get a call from the local JD dealer to see if he could figure out what was wrong with a piece of equipment the dealer had just sold. Quite often, it was a case of the equipment not being set up/put together correctly. Dealer would ask how much he owed him for the work. Neighbor always took something off the dealer's shelf like oil filters, grease, etc. This was back in the 1950s and 60s. Dealer hired young kids to assemble machinery and things like that happen.

Do you have statistics to back this claim up? Im 32 so not sure if I fit into youre generalizations. Im an electrician, and when we demo older buildings you see what kind of quality work was being done. The guys that installed conduit back in the 70s and 80s literally bend conduit over their knees. Didnt strap anything. No grounds installed. List goes on. Pretty unfair to just say its all the younger peoples fault. One post even said they were running into this in the 50s and 60s.

And sometimes bolt holes from the factory are no in the correct location . Back when the new rage was the Hay Basket i had a local dealer that he would call when he needed extra help or got as he called them ODD BALL meaning I H tractors in for repair or traded in . He had one full time mechanic on the ag side one and a half on the lawn and garden side one guy that floated and drove truck . I was up working on a trade in 1066installing a new clutch and T/A and anything else i could find before it got set out ft. when a semi pulled in with a half a full load of new hay baskets and he wanted me to help with putting them jigsaw puzzles together out behind the shop myself and the one guy that floated started and it did not take long to find out that hey these bolt hols don't even come close to lining up along with some of the welded pieces .He had received 20 hay baskets and the other guy and i had them all layed out trying to see if we were the ones not putting the Puzzle together correctly . I was to the point of frustration that i was about ready to put the new MIG welder to work and weld them together . They called in the factory Rep and he was there the next day looking them over tryen to figure out why we could get one side to fit but not the other side . We ended up clamping and HAND drilling all the bolt holes on all of them on one side Cutting off and rewelding a couple brackets instead of what they claimed as two hours to assemble turned into two a day .

In high school the local dealer gave the AG class a new wheel disc with outrigger gangs to assemble, the instruction sheets were really poor, we ended up with a box of pieces and fasteners that we had no clue where they were supposed to go.

A vo-ag class put together the Brillion cultimulcher dad bought around the mid-1970's. Looked like they did a very good job.

One summer during college I hauled "kits" from the Krause Plow factory in Hutchinson KS and assembled them. Didn't have a clue. When I couldn't figure out how to make a bracket fit our shop manager just shrugged and told me to burn a new hole. The assumption was that the farmer would check everything before use. I do not think I would ever expect new equipment to be assembled right.

(quoted from post at 13:17:41 10/12/21) Do you have statistics to back this claim up? Im 32 so not sure if I fit into youre generalizations. Im an electrician, and when we demo older buildings you see what kind of quality work was being done. The guys that installed conduit back in the 70s and 80s literally bend conduit over their knees. Didnt strap anything. No grounds installed. List goes on. Pretty unfair to just say its all the younger peoples fault. One post even said they were running into this in the 50s and 60s.

Well said. Nothing new about sloppy, don't give a damn work ethics.

One time many years ago here at my Ford Dealership we had a delivery of cars
and after they were dropped off we needed to move them inside our building
I told the one salesmen to take this one into our storage building
he went to move it and he got out and said me I do not know how to drive a
standard transmission, I said its a automatic he said to me well then why does it have a clutch pedal I went over and sure enough it had a 3rd pedal
some one at the factory installed the wrong assembly .
I remember when we tried to make a claim for misbuilt vehicle
Ford did not believe us and we had to send photos .
so thinks like this happen all the time .

I am 78 and been a dealer for years and I think your statement may be a little off. We have some high school boys come in after school and assemble stuff as well as wash and clean. I can not see any difference in the ones 20 years ago. Show them what to do and how you want it done and then get out of the way. Granted some of these kids love computers but just like it has always been you have to FIND and PAY good help. I have a grandson who is now 36 years old, his first words were BOTA , he has worked at ever job in the dealership and worked his way thru college. Of the 4 stores I am associated with he is one of the top notch managers. county may be in dire shape but sure not the young folks fault.

Could they be turning down promotions or leaving because like they don't want to work with the people above them? I've seem that happen in a shop.

Not unusual at all. Keep in mind, the setup guy may have just graduated from the wash bay. And the service manager may not have even given him the instructions.

I work for an ag manufacturer and get to deal with this on a regular basis.

I posted this a while back when I came across it. Whoever put it together either had both; no idea how a plow should be assembled and very poor instructions, see link. As you can see the main frame is installed upside down. If you need some help understanding what I mean the frame with the Titan sticker should have everything taken off of it and flipped with the side that is up positioned so it is down. The sticker side would now be away from you. Then the plow reassembled. Assembled that way the plow bottoms would trail correctly, the rear bottom turning soil over into the furrow of the from bottom. The funny part is that they show the plow hooked to a tractor in a field as if they were going to actually use it in soil in this configuration. This link does not show that. Also the price they have on that 2 bottom plow is quite high.
Incorrectly assembled 2 bot. plow

Some years ago a friend asked me to go with him to look at and give him my opinion of a New Holland manure spreader that he was interested in. We get there and I saw that the hitch mechanism had been installed upside down. I pointed it out and owner said it was that way new. The owner had unknowingly used it that way for several years. He got wrenches and we unbolted it and turned it over. Owner said, Well, that looks better and it should pull behind tractor more nearly level. Picture below is of a spreader showing the hitch in proper position on a machine. Imagine using a spreader with the hitch upside down.
cvphoto104395.jpg

My experience is the dealer just drops off the equipment, "Here you go," and they're gone. They have their money, and figuring out the equipment is your problem unless you go over their heads to Corporate and make a stink.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back