New Holland LS170 value with engine that smokes

Trying to figure out my options as my
Ls170 has started to smoke from engine. It has over 4000 hours. My options are
to put in replacement motor or upgrade to a newer used machine. My
Question for you guys is what is mine worth now roughly in in current condition.
4000 hours
Needs tires
Had some small hydraulic leaks

Any input would be great!

Joe

Change the oil to full synthetic 15-40 with filter. See if that change alone cuts the smoke. if so keep it/trade it. If no help with new oil, and if it is paid off, price your options and assess your mechanical skills. then decide. Jim

When I told a co worker that I was going to put rings in my tractor because it used oil, he said oil is cheap. Think about it. Adding oil is an inconvenience, but how much oil will you be able to buy with the money needed to upgrade the tractor. It is your choice. I am glad that I put new rings in mine.

At 4K hours I'd wonder why it's burning oil? Has it ever had any maintenance done to it? I'd start with an oil/filter change and up it to 15W40. Then I'd change the air filters... both the outer and the inner. While I was at that I might pull the intake/discharge hoses off the turbo and see if that's full of oil. Somewhere in there you'll probably find the source of the oil consumption.

There should be a lot of hours left in that machine yet, depending on how it's been maintained. Value is difficult without pics and careful assessment of condition. If you've really got a worn out engine and it looks rough and spent it's life in a barn, 3K might be all it's worth. If it's a nice clean looking machine and the boom is tight, hydro is strong, final drives are tight and leak free.....mabey 7-10. I don't know. Nice clean example are listed for upwards of 30k today so if you have a good crate you can afford to replace the engine and still be ahead.

Rod

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back