New Poster with an NAA

Tim Moore

New User
First post here, forgive me if I don't speak correct tractor talk. I am a Model T Ford guy for almost 40 years and know them much better. I just bought something I always wanted and that is a ford "Golden Jubilee". Before I get into that I have had Farmall cubs for many years (a 1963 low boy and a 1947 standard) and have been around the block with splitting, clutches, rear seals, falling tractors while putting on weights...plow snow, garden, mow.

Now for the NAA, wanted one for a long time but never really looked hard. One jumped up on me local and the right place at the right time so I bought it (and drove it home). Seems to be a good piece and I am pecking away at it as I have time. Did all the ignition first then fluids, replaced broken manifold and adjusted brakes but that all needs replaced.

Here is the big question before I go on any longer...this tractor has no stamping over the starter (wire wheeled it all off) for a number but there is an oval brass plate on the left side below the steering sector that reads NAA00018. At the top of the block on the left side it is marked *34. Is this a really early Jubilee or am I looking fooling myself?

Regardless it is a good running tractor with excellent sheet metal. When I get the brakes rebuilt and front wheel bearings and races I will knock it apart so it can be red and grey again instead of blue. I have used it to spread 30 yards of gravel in the driveway and my only complaint is I got done too fast.

Any thoughts on these numbers?

Regards,

Tim Moore

I by no means knowledgeable on this subject. However, IIRC the numbers you didn't find on the bell behind the starter started during the NAA production sometime.

You very well may have something very special there, but someone who knows more about it will have to say so.

big fan of the NAA here, like to see a pic of yours.
Go to oldfordtractors dot com for some more info on them.
Early NAA's had the serial number on the engine up by the governor arm spring.
And real early ones had the zeros preceding the number like your plate.
You might want to contact John Smith if you find that low number on the engine, as his site says NAA00034 is the earliest one found so far.

I will try to get some photo's of the tag and motor number up tonight or this weekend (going to have to have my kid show me if he is home). One thing I thought was odd was that when I changed the manifold the nuts were all brass. I have a temp gauge to put on this weekend and the bolt / plug on the rear right of the head is also brass. Don't know if it ever had a temp. gauge but the dash has a hole for one. Put on a new steering wheel last night, have a new hour meter to go on and a new gasket for the side cover of the motor. It is a little oily there and hope it isn't coming up through the dist. When I did the ignition I saw that I can move the rotor back and forth and don't know why that is but it runs great. Somebody put a jack under the left radius rod and put a bow in that so need to flip it and jack it back straight or remove and put it in the press, hope it doesn't just make a flat spot!

Tim Moore

Sounds like you have an interesting tractor. I hope you have gone to John's Smith's site for more info. He is very knowledgeable so you might try shooting him an e-mail. The manifold nuts were originally brass I believe. That is what they sell as replacements. It is common to see radius rods with a bow in them its usually from hitting something with the front tire or if a loader was on the tractor. They can be straightened. They are pretty tough. There are threads in the archive on how to straighten them. A little heat and couple of blocks of wood worked for mine. Once you straighten them check the front axle center pin and bolster for any damage or wear. Like to see the pics and hear more about the brass tag. Have fun with it.

Photo's if it works,

Brass tag and stamping *34 on top left side of block. No stamping on side above starter.

36801.jpg

36803.jpg

36804.jpg

36805.jpg

Also...Who is Jim Smith and what is his website please? Did a little jewelry this weekend and changed out the steering wheel, added the water temp. gauge and the proof meter. All that went easy. I stopped where I bought it yesterday and picked up a piece of steel that matches the running board pattern as the tool box lid has been replaced with diamond plate and I need to make a new one to match. He has a set of chains for it that I need to pick up but these tires are currently loaded (chloride). It does have a remote hydro. control that I removed the hoses and put in pipe plugs and the lever is disconnected. It also has some type of slip clutch on the PTO shaft.

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/index.html
That is the website you want, has tons on information on it and some used parts listed

I sent an e-mail to John Smith and he replied to me that the *34 on the block was an inspector's number, he advised to clean behind that for an early NAA # and I did. It does have the correct diamond then NAA00018 and another diamond stamp. Looks like my Golden is really "Golden" (unless I am wrong, waiting to hear from John as I sent him photographs).

Probably doesn't matter, just that my old tractor is older than most. It might be a little cool if I do have the earliest NAA but there are another 17 below mine somewhere.

Tim Moore

(quoted from post at 20:44:30 06/12/16) I sent an e-mail to John Smith and he replied to me that the *34 on the block was an inspector's number, he advised to clean behind that for an early NAA # and I did. It does have the correct diamond then NAA00018 and another diamond stamp. Looks like my Golden is really "Golden" (unless I am wrong, waiting to hear from John as I sent him photographs).

Probably doesn't matter, just that my old tractor is older than most. It might be a little cool if I do have the earliest NAA but there are another 17 below mine somewhere.

Tim Moore

Great!
One of the first NAA's ever built.
And it is still pulling gravel and workin hard.....which is as it should be.
congrats.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back