New (to me) GVI!!!

Anonymous-0

Hello everyone. I have recently acquired a tractor that I have always wanted - a GVI. It is in very good shape, with just a few issues. I would appreciate any advice with regard to the difficulty and parts availability on the following issues:

1) Wheel grease seals are leaking grease on both sides. I pulled the hubs, and the grease looks to be very old and the seals are either original or the original style. Would you replace the seals with original replacements, or try to find a modern type seal that will fit the OD and ID measurements? The original is a metal retainer with felt insert. It is available from AGCO.

2) Power steering cylinder is leaking. Are these available, or are parts to repair this available? How involved is this process?

3) One rear axle seal is leaking. Are parts available, and how difficult is this project?

Any help would be appreciated. I sure am excited about my GVI!!!

Gary

What the heck is a GVI?

Where did you find that one?

Tried to find one in the tractor photos section but its not working.

Gary

For all parts I would call Welters, a dealership in MO. 417-498-6496. I would replace the front wheel seals with the original arrangement. The rear axle seal is a relatively easy job, just remove wheel and hub, then the seal retainer and intall new seal. The seal can be obtained locally, it'll have a number on it. The steering cylinder isn't likely to be bad either. I know on my 900, Welters sent me a kit that contained all the o-rings and such to repair it. Your cylinder may be a bit more involved because the control valve is built into the cylinder. I've never done one of those so I can't say if it's difficult.

Thanks. We have a local AGCO dealer that got the front wheel seals for me - original style. They got them using the MM part number. I also have one of the cylinder repair kits on it's way.

I appreciate your advice.

Gary:

I am not an expert on the models of MM tractors, but as I understand it, the GVI (G6) is in the G line of MM tractors, which at that time made it the largest MM built. I think they were built from 59 - 63 or something close to that. I found this one in Kentucky at an auction. If you make it out to Homestead in a couple of weeks, I have every intention of having it there (along with my UTS and model AF 3-16 plow). If I can find your e-mail address, I will shoot you over a picture. I'm kinda proud of it. It was owned and restored by a man named Robert Elliott in Mayfield, Ky. He was well known in the pulling game.

Gary

Hi Gary -

The GVI looks a lot like this slightly later model - the G-705. I don't have a pic to post of my GVI, but it was a fairly common tractor, especially in the "wheatland/standard" areas - out here in KS and West Texas.

They are big old heavy rascals. Have a little bit of a reputation for being weak in the rear end. Not sure if that was just because the MM engines were just that much better engineered.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">
DSC05677.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
</a>
DSC05678.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
</a>
DSC05701.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
</a>

Howard

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back