Yes seriously broke , at least I know
something!!!
<video width=90%
src=https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cvvide
os/cvvideo158402.mp4
controls>http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/
cvvideos/cvvideo158402.mp4</video>

You're welcome, sorry wasnt electrical.

Could take the front timing cover off to see if gear is toast.
Dont know if possible to swap out with cam in the engine. Maybe others know.
If you go looking at N tractors, the newer 8ns with side distributors are best. When looking at adds, the gen or alternator is on the starter side of the engine, and distributor is in front of the carb.
I wouldnt buy a front mount to use for mowing, unless budget allows for 12 volt conversion, and pertronix 1247XT electronic ignition.

Make sure the crankshaft is turning, the crank turns the cam. It would be rare for something to go wrong at the flywheel but it does happen.

If the crank spins and the cam does not its a major job to repair. I would pull the engine and take the pan off.

(quoted from post at 07:09:57 07/13/23)
Make sure the crankshaft is turning, the crank turns the cam. It would be rare for something to go wrong at the flywheel but it does happen.

If the crank spins and the cam does not its a major job to repair. I would pull the engine and take the pan off.
s HoBO SAID, BE SURE CRANK PULLEY IS TURNING. mINE WAS AS SIMPLE AS a FEW WELDS ON FLYWHEEL TO RING GEAR THRU STARTER MOUNTING HOLE. oTHERWISE PROBABLY CAM GEAR, WHICH YOU CAN SEE THRU GOVERNOR MOUNT HOLE.

tbsay09.jpg

ZtaeZMM.jpg

piPaRTn.jpg

ignore "prime" note, but see chewed up cam gear

(quoted from post at 18:45:22 07/12/23) Just fyi internal break inside W camshaft gear
possibly

Wow! Never would have suspected this.

I follow this forum and implement alley...because our 2N is 80 years old, and our haying equipment averages 50 years old.

Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that manuals and following procedures is important. However, manuals are written for new machines, and many failure modes due to aging aren't in the troubleshooting flow charts.

I'm happy for you that you got a tip that ultimately led to diagnosis...it's the kind of tip that reinforces my love for these types of forums.

Maybe Bruce can add a "76th tip"... Because his list of tips has become more applicable than the manuals in some instances...

In the world of hindsight, always perfect ya
know, maybe that checking of rotation is so o
vious ppl.thought I'd done it. It might be
something one does first almost without
thinking. Once when I was teaching chemistr I was doing algebra in the
board and some students got upset. Couldn't
figure out why. They kept saying we don't
understand how you got from equation 4 to
equation 5. Finally a guy in the back said
they don't understand the step you did in
your head. I had divided both sides of the
equation by X to isolate X on one side.
Anyway, it kwas VERY obvious to me but not to
some of them.
Thank you so.mych again folks for the tip. I
will be taking it apart to look but not this
week.

Bern following this forum for many years. Met
Dell and he visited me and helped at geginning
when I was working with the tractor on my own.
It's been an adventure. Always wished I could
meet up with local folks in the Pacific NW to
talk these tractors. I have been tomthe local
antique tractor show in Lynden but one on one
it's hard to get ppl talking.

cvphoto158455.png

Hi Bruce just FYI distributor is not turning on the tractor so its internal from there. I posted it at the top but wanted to make sure you saw as well. Thanks for your help.

Well, that will sure result in no spark! ;)

Hopefully, it's just the timing gear. Pul the governor off and look in there to see.

Post back w/ results, pls.

And see tip # 1
75 Tips

(quoted from post at 16:35:12 07/13/23) Well, that will sure result in no spark! ;)

Hopefully, it's just the timing gear. Pul the governor off and look in there to see.

Post back w/ results, pls.

And see tip # 1
75 Tips
ruce, if it is a press-on gear, as in my picture from 1941, it is still available (on YT) and does cam have to be removed to remove gear and press on another?

This post was edited by JMOR on 07/13/2023 at 02:21 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back