Not Sure The Seller Knows & So What Transmission Is This

Now that I know my 8n doesn't have a step-down transmission but actually has an F&T overdrive transmission since it is located on the right side of the tractor and has a curved solid brass lever, I'm still looking for a Sherman step up & down or possibly even just a Sherman step-down transmission.

I already know there are 2-3 Sherman combos for sale on ebay but not going to pay 800.00-1000.00 plus shipping costs and so I came across an ad while doing a search and talked with the seller over the phone who said this transmission has the Sherman step-down only transmission.

Since something about the lever didn't look quite right, I went to OldFordTractors.com and tried to compare it with all of the pictures but didn't notice any connection.

Does anyone know what this is and have more information on it?

I don't know what aux transmission that is, but I do know that is a 3speed 9N/2N, so it likely has a straight-cut output. Your 8N has angled.

(quoted from post at 09:48:28 01/09/16) I don't know what aux transmission that is, but I do know that is a 3speed 9N/2N, so it likely has a straight-cut output. Your 8N has angled.

Definitely another bummer...was hoping I was onto something here.

So there's most likely no practical way of interchanging a Sherman from a 9 or 2n to a 8n?

Well the seller said he would take pictures of the actual transmission and since I read where they may still have the original factory paint on them, maybe I can determine which one it is and pass along the information to someone on here who might be looking for one :)

The shifter indicates a Sherman step-up or step-down, with the odds highly in favor of it being a step-up. All Shermans have angle cut gears.

(quoted from post at 10:06:55 01/09/16)
The shifter indicates a Sherman step-up or step-down, with the odds highly in favor of it being a step-up. All Shermans have angle cut gears.

ok, and since all Shermans have angle cut gears, does this mean the one in the picture which is almost certainly in a 9n or 2n transmission that it can be removed and then installed in a 8n just the way it is?

(quoted from post at 18:31:41 01/09/16)

ok, and since all Shermans have angle cut gears, does this mean the one in the picture which is almost certainly in a 9n or 2n transmission that it can be removed and then installed in a 8n just the way it is?

Not necessarily. The early step-ups sold for the 9N-2N tractors had a countershaft pin that protrudes from the front side and interferes with the brake cross shaft on the 8N. You would need to swap the countershaft pin for one from a later step-up that protrudes from the rear side. Other than that, no problem. It will fit.

(quoted from post at 10:56:24 01/09/16)
(quoted from post at 18:31:41 01/09/16)

Not necessarily. The early step-ups sold for the 9N-2N tractors had a countershaft pin that protrudes from the front side and interferes with the brake cross shaft on the 8N. You would need to swap the countershaft pin for one from a later step-up that protrudes from the rear side. Other than that, no problem. It will fit.

I'm still waiting for the seller to upload more pics to his ad but as of right now he seems pretty certain that it's the Sherman step-down only transmission. So would I have any problems putting it into my 8n if it is in fact the step-down only? If it is the step-up transmission, I don't even want it since I already have the F&T overdrive transmission in my 8n

(quoted from post at 11:35:41 01/09/16) Same answer for the step-up only or step-down only.

Ok, and so if it ends up being an earlier step-down only, do I have to replace the countershaft pin from a later step-down only or can it be replaced with either the later model of the step-up only or a step-down only?

Sorry for all of the questions but these things are a bit expensive and have a bit of work to put them in and so I want to make sure that I do everything right this time since I already got fooled on my 8n supposing to have the step-down transmission but ended up being an overdrive transmission

So the transmission pictured is a late 9N/2N? When was the straight-to-angle gear change?
The only N I have been in is my 1941.

(quoted from post at 19:57:21 01/09/16)
(quoted from post at 11:35:41 01/09/16) Same answer for the step-up only or step-down only.

Ok, and so if it ends up being an earlier step-down only, do I have to replace the countershaft pin from a later step-down only or can it be replaced with either the later model of the step-up only or a step-down only?

Sorry for all of the questions but these things are a bit expensive and have a bit of work to put them in and so I want to make sure that I do everything right this time since I already got fooled on my 8n supposing to have the step-down transmission but ended up being an overdrive transmission

Step-up only and step-down only use the same countershaft pins.

Interesting thing about these kinds of transmissions.... if the original owner *THINKS* it is a step down just because the tractor moves slower when the lever is in a certain position, that doesn't make it a true step down. What he NEEDS to know is when the thing is in STRAIGHT through... Just saying.... if he doesn't KNOW it's a pig in a poke for the buyer. The perils of a free market.

(quoted from post at 15:26:17 01/09/16) Interesting thing about these kinds of transmissions.... if the original owner *THINKS* it is a step down just because the tractor moves slower when the lever is in a certain position, that doesn't make it a true step down. What he NEEDS to know is when the thing is in STRAIGHT through... Just saying.... if he doesn't KNOW it's a pig in a poke for the buyer. The perils of a free market.

You make a very good point... the seller of the 8n we recently bought said it had the step-down transmission. Not sure if he was trying to pull a fast one on us or if he honestly didn't know that he actually had the 8n tractor's step-up (overdrive) transmission engaged but thinking it was disengaged and therefor using the standard gearing of the 8n's transmission itself and then he was actually disengaging the step-up and so then thinking it was being put into a low range or the step-down gearing.

I'm going to have this same problem with the current Sherman transmission that you see in the pics...we live states away from each other where by not able to simply drive there to see it for myself, and I'm not sure how honest and/or experienced he is with these tractors and add-on transmissions

It not that hard to figure out. If tractor runs the lever in the forward position is standard gears. Pulling the lever back towards the operate is either step-up(speeds up) or step-down (slows down). Or in this case since he already has it split just look at the color of the case, (As shown in my 2n photo) step-down red, step-up grey.

Kirk
shermanstep-down_zps445608aa.jpg

I believe it was '42 but you still could use the shermans in the 9n you just had to change the gear out in the trans.

Kirk

(quoted from post at 16:13:34 01/09/16) It not that hard to figure out. If tractor runs the lever in the forward position is standard gears. Pulling the lever back towards the operate is either step-up(speeds up) or step-down (slows down). Or in this case since he already has it split just look at the color of the case, (As shown in my 2n photo) step-down red, step-up grey.

Kirk
shermanstep-down_zps445608aa.jpg

Sure wish there was any easier way since I'm leery about people knowing the level of desirability is for these combos and step-down transmissions that if they just simply paint it a red that closely matches what we see in original photos of them, they can then try to get double or even more money out of it than what a step-up transmission is worth.

Think I might just tack on some patience and wait to find one that is actually with in reasonable driving distance or buy one from a reputable seller. I just know that ebay isn't the place right now to find one at an actually reasonable cost based on our soc sec disability income...one seller (schemer) even tried the tactic of listing his transmission for like 1,800 but then showing in the listing that he slashed the price down to just a little below a 1,000 thinking that suckers will think that the seller is being too kind :lol:

You're perhaps quite right, Kirk, but who can say if the SELLER even knows... which was kinda was my whole point..

I've got no dog in this race, but I seem to recall that is was mostly the 9Ns and early 2Ns that had the straight cut (noisy) input gear... I think it happened substantially before the 8N... Been wrong before..

im looking at this pic is that a weld on the shifter just about a inch or so up the stick? if so the shifter handle cant be used to determine what it is since its been modified, you ll have to play with it and try to tell 1 how many positions it has, 2, or 3, that will help some but your kind of flying blind here if it works you will have twice as many gears at least as before on your tractor, the interesting thing is going to be which way

There is an ebay seller 60 miles north of me and he often has Ford Tractor parts to sell off. He had a Sherman Step-Up from a 1940 9N that sold for $156.00 the other night. Most Shermans you see go for at least $500 and the combo and step downs are not that easy to find.

Tim *PloughNman* Daley(MI)

(quoted from post at 20:41:27 01/09/16) im looking at this pic is that a weld on the shifter just about a inch or so up the stick? if so the shifter handle cant be used to determine what it is since its been modified, you ll have to play with it and try to tell 1 how many positions it has, 2, or 3, that will help some but your kind of flying blind here if it works you will have twice as many gears at least as before on your tractor, the interesting thing is going to be which way

yep, I saw where you're talking about what looks like the lever has been welded back on. Hmmm is the part at the base of the lever an original and someone ended up welding another piece to it or is the whole lever something that someone has rigged onto it?

Another odd thing is that I can't find another transmission which has this same lever on it. I have looked at john Smith's site which has a lot of pictures/info and also doing image searches but none of them that I saw look like this one.

So did someone rig this one on and if so how did they bolt it on? If you look close where the lever mounts to the shaft coming out the side of the transmission, there doesn't appear to be a bolt which threads into it from the end. The only other way I can think of is that there is a set screw which keeps the lever from coming off and if so, it is either painted over or is in a place that this picture angle doesn't show it.

Well still waiting for the seller to upload the other pictures and I'm going to call him later on today to see if I can get some more information on it but I still think that I'll wait to come across something closer to where we live.

(quoted from post at 05:30:13 01/10/16) There is an ebay seller 60 miles north of me and he often has Ford Tractor parts to sell off. He had a Sherman Step-Up from a 1940 9N that sold for $156.00 the other night. Most Shermans you see go for at least $500 and the combo and step downs are not that easy to find.

Me and my wife have only seen the step-up transmissions selling on average for 150.00 to 300.00 ...not all that many people want their tractor to go faster than what the factory already got it at not to mention the work involved in putting these into their tractor.

Can go on craigs list and ebay right now and find them selling for this average price... ebay seller has had 2 of the Sherman step-ups listed for real close to 300.00 buy-it-now

(quoted from post at 23:39:10 01/10/16)
(quoted from post at 05:30:13 01/10/16) There is an ebay seller 60 miles north of me and he often has Ford Tractor parts to sell off. He had a Sherman Step-Up from a 1940 9N that sold for $156.00 the other night. Most Shermans you see go for at least $500 and the combo and step downs are not that easy to find.

Me and my wife have only seen the step-up transmissions selling on average for 150.00 to 300.00 ...not all that many people want their tractor to go faster than what the factory already got it at not to mention the work involved in putting these into their tractor.

Can go on craigs list and ebay right now and find them selling for this average price... ebay seller has had 2 of the Sherman step-ups listed for real close to 300.00 buy-it-now

Take a trip out to Seattle and and have a look at it, Might have a bit of fun while you go out. rOAD TRIPS ARE Great fun.

If I wanted one I would drive up and take a look at it, but I do not feel like installing one. Do like my Howard tho.

"Take a trip out to Seattle and and have a look at it, Might have a bit of fun while you go out. rOAD TRIPS ARE Great fun.

If I wanted one I would drive up and take a look at it, but I do not feel like installing one. Do like my Howard tho."

Nah that's ok....we're not looking for great fun or even just fun.

Aside from that, we're not going to drive from Ohio ALL THE WAY out to the west coast just for a chance of something actually being what we need. If we're going to spend ALL that time, money in gas, and wear n tear on the vehicle we could much easier spend the extra money put into all that on the same item that's located near us.

Oh and yes the seller may consider removing the add-on transmission and shipping it which would still be a substantial savings since the average cost is approx 55.00 to ship it.

The bottom of the sherman handle is original. It is connected by sliding over the shaft inside the bellhousing and held
on with a pin. You can see it in my other photo, although the pin is not installed in the photo but you see the hole. I
would not buy any sherman without inspecting it myself, or if I knew or trusted the seller. If the seller states that
it is a step down and you receive a step up than he should return ALL of your money.

Kirk
S_sherman-vi_zpsc1521ab2.jpg

(quoted from post at 01:13:53 01/11/16) The bottom of the sherman handle is original. It is connected by sliding over the shaft inside the bellhousing and held
on with a pin. You can see it in my other photo, although the pin is not installed in the photo but you see the hole. I
would not buy any sherman without inspecting it myself, or if I knew or trusted the seller. If the seller states that
it is a step down and you receive a step up than he should return ALL of your money.

Great! Thank you so much for showing that picture which has the same lever as the one I'm looking at.

So it sounds like a Sherman with this style handle is also the same for both the Sherman step-up version as well as the Sherman step-down version?

You made a very good point of a person should inspect something like these transmissions before buying them. It makes it even more difficult since the owner only has the Sherman mounted in a transmission that isn't on the tractor. I would hope that if I ended up going through with the purchase and I received it not as described, the seller would be respectful enough to refund me but me and my wife have already gone through getting ripped off... even when we had the seller's email address, phone number, messages, and recorded phone calls even our Ohio Attorney General's case worker told us that we can file a report with all of the documentation we have but it is still very difficult today to get anything done about it due to the overwhelming amount of scams that get reported on a daily basis as well as so many other reasons that hinder the process.

You really would be better off passing on the one in Seattle. Buy one you can drive to and inspect. If you can not afford to get ripped off, stay away from craigs lists items unless you can inspect the items.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back