O.T. - Disappearing species?

JerryS

The post by Hammer House asking how to get rid of roly-poly bugs got me to thinking about something: his question made me realize I haven’t seen a roly-poly bug in many years, and they used to be almost a nuisance. That made me think of other species that in my world were once common, but now are to my knowledge non-existent.

In the insect world, there were lots of interesting beetles and moths that flocked around the lights at night, occasionally some of the giant ones like Grant’s Rhinoceros. No more, not here. It has been many years since I’ve seen the long purple centipede. I haven’t seen a green or black or brown tumblebug in decades, but then I’m not near any livestock. Also gone are the big “graveyard grasshoppers” as we called them---orange and black or green and gold. Scorpions used to be plentiful here, but I haven’t seen one in 20 years, and I’m constantly in the woods piling up old dead wood. Heck, on my place it’s been a while since I’ve even seen an earthworm. Maybe I just live in a dead zone.

Moving up to the higher orders: as a lad I loved hunting quail with my dad, and sitting on the porch and whistling them up to within a few feet of us was an enjoyable evening pastime. I have not so much as heard the whistle of a quail in more than 20 years. Woodcocks and field larks were once common, but they’ve been gone for many, many years. We used to enjoy racing the roadrunners down the backroads, or seeing where they’d hung a lizard on a barb wire fence. No roadrunners for many years. And, speaking of lizards----the brown “rusty” lizard that once was common as kinfolks seems to be a thing of the past.

I’m sure there are other critters that have dropped off the scope, but unless someone mentions them, like the roly-poly (pill bugs, we called them), their absence isn’t noticed.
On the other hand, in my 71-year lifespan I have seen other species arrive and proliferate. My dad was an avid hunter, but he was well into his 50s before he killed his first deer. Why? There weren’t any here in north Louisiana. My dad, who lived in the rural country all his life, was in his 40s before he saw his first armadillo. I was grown before I heard my first coyote serenade. Now deer, coyotes and armadillos are thick as fleas.

The fire ant is another creature that made its appearance in my lifetime. I suspect that this scourge has a lot to with many of the other disappearing species, especially the ground-dwellers.

I suppose it's natural that insidious changes are going on all around us all the time ( won’t even get into the climate); just wondered if any of you have noticed as well.

red ladybugs were most common less than 7 years ago now all we have is the orangish ones with the fewer spots from China that has destroyed or native ones.
Our State Bird The Ruffed grouse has to be stocked only to be devoured by the Fox And Coyotes that has bee transplanted in our area. Been many years to see a wild Ring Neck Pheasant They stock those a couple days before season opens they will stand for hours along the road almost able to pick one up they are so tame... waiting for the truck to come back.

When I was growing up in central North Carolina back in the 50s, if you wanted to hunt deer you had to go to the coastal area or the mountains, now they are in every one's back yard. Development is responsible for a lot of it. About 30 years ago someone sawmilled approximately a thousand acres just a few miles from me. Then they cut it up and sold it in small parcels. Can you imagine how many deer that displaced?
Like everyone else, haven't heard a quail in years. The Dept. of Ag. is working on trying to re-establish the population, but it is a slow process.
Coyotes, we got them now. We also got open season on them.That may be one reason we don't have any quail.
A few years ago our local community college named the snack bar and break room the "Armadillo room" I thought to myself, what the heck? Armadillos are in Texas! Well we got them in NC now.
And don't even get me started on fire ants! For years I have read reports on how the Govt. was keeping tabs on the migration of fire ants. Well, why in the devil didn't they do something to eradicate the darned things when they discovered them? They are all over now, and still moving. Sorry, but I just had to rant a little on the ants.

It's all about habitat. Producing food for a growing world population doesn't leave much room for wildlife habitat. We're not sure or unconcerned with what herbicides and pesticides are doing to insect populations or habitat. Years ago pheasants were common in weedy corn fields; now you see very few weeds. It's hard to find corn that isn't RR. Over 2o years quail habitat changes; brushy thickets grow too thick or too big or grass invades. When we fiirst purchased our land from my MIL, you could clearly see the noll our house sits on 1000 feet off the road. Now you can't see our house unless there's snow on the roof. The field has grown up to dogwood thickets, briars and trees. Rabbits have increased as so have the deer.

I wonder what happens if bees continue to decline. Nature abhors a vacume. Will other insects, like butterflies, fill that niche or will pollination suffer severely?

We had a fox or milk snake dozing in the iris bed yesterday morning. Earlier in the week, I saw a blue racer in the back yard. First I've seen in several years. We don't see enough snakes and too many cowbirds.

We all need to remember we are just stewards. We should be leaving our planet in better shape than we found it. I'm no "greenie" but we need to use some common sense. After all, this is our home too.

Larry

I saw a pair of sandhill cranes with two young ones coming home last even ing. First ones I saw, except for their migrations, was about 10-15 years ago. Now they are fairly common. There is a pheasant picking around in my soybeans as I write this, 25 years ago there would have been 3 or 4.

In the last 3 years, I have noticed a disturbing disappearance of the working adult. Lots of welfare flies, though!

ive noticed some changes too but the biggest ones are caused by invading humans, the tourist trap up the hiway alloed the newcomers to build the place up beyond its ability to maintain itself, its in the woods, now they complain about the mess the black bears make with the trash dumpsters, then the feed the deer corn [ corn will kill a fawn, they cant digest it] so many deer now hang out throughout the town, cute untill you realise that those deer are also a main food source for the area mountain lions, now guess who's also hanging out around town at night , the newcomers raise ned about the bears mess even though its them who invaded the bear habitat bears are nothing if not adaptable, so the trash dumpsters just mean mr bear dont have to work so hard for his meal, and they shout the roof off when the lions make their fifi a light apitizer while they wait for a deer to happen thru, yet its them who feed the deer in town

I'm in the camp blaming the fire ant for destroying many species. Anything that hatched eggs on the ground is almost gone or totaly gone. Anything else that dropped a live birth on the ground for a long period is also in trouble.
Here in SE Texas the advent of costal bermuda created a monoculture that does not support wildlife, especially quail.

Mankind has been the greatest destroyer of the earth. Overpopulation is further ensuring that destruction.
I really doubt that mankind can reverse this problem as it needed to be done about 100 yrs ago.

You're right about the pill bugs. Hadn't noticed, but now that you mention it, can't remember the last time I saw one.

We've lost wildlife around our place in e. Tx, too. When James and I first married, we could see/hear quail from the breakfast table at the farm. Quail have been gone for years now - habitat loss, feral hogs, fire ants.

On a good note - haven't heard meadowlarks for many years, but they're back. Studies say feral cats have decimated the songbird population by up to 75% for some species.

Works both ways, it seems.

When I was a kid the only turkeys we ever saw were on a platter on the table at Thanksgiving or Christmas, now I no longer have to drag the manure in my pastures as we got dozens of them scratching it up for me. Deer, coyotes and ground hogs seem to go in shorter cycles. Had bear in our neighbor hood for a couple years now - 20 years ago that would have made the tv news. Had a moose in our pasture a couple weeks ago, that was a first....

I haven't seen a toad in years. Very few garter snakes (its the only species we have), haven't seen a salamander in a long time. No meadowlarks here anymore, either.

But on the other side of the coin, opposums have moved in, about 40 years ago. Elk have widened their range, and are now common in the lowlands. Canadian geese have apparently quit migrating, and we have a year-round population now.

Probably a habitat thing- the species that either benefit from, or aren't scared of, human developement seem to be increasing, but the little critters that need natural habitat are on the decline. Also, I've heard amphibians, especially, are sensitive to pesticides.

Forgot to mention - I love to hear the call of Meadowlarks. Its one of my favorites. Very glad to be hearing them again.

Could be that you're not the same as you used to be or are not doing the same thigns. I never see pill bugs, snakes, or many of the insects listed in the other posts.
I have 4 boys between age 4 and 10, they spend most of their time playing in the creek, field or woods. They find things all the time and bring them to show me.
Without their sharing I would also think that many of these things weren't around as much as they were when I was a boy.

No, I'm still just a big kid. LOL. Actually, I am a lot more hands-on than you might think. I'm retired, so now I'm outside grubbing around virtually all day long.

I thought of two more things I don't see anymore: honeybees and rabbits.

Yeah, I haven't seen a jack rabbit or a horned toad around the Corsicana-Palestine area in a long time.

We seen a tarantula Sunday though while out hoggin'.

There's plenty of cottontails around us but I haven't noticed many honeybees either.

We have several sandhill cranes in this area of central Michigan. Never used to. Also porcupines, coyotes - never had them when I was a kid either. Racoons, skunks and possums weren"t terribly common, now they;re road-kill specials. However, small game, pheasant, quail, rabbits are pretty few and far between. Blame the coyotes. Deer have flourished over the recent years. Getting to be a major nuisance, then there"s the turkeys. Some one in the DNR thought they"d add to the hunting opportunities. They do keep the bugs down in my hay fields, devistate oats, wheat, corn and soys. A dozen turkeys can do a great deal of damage to farm crops. Think they may also have something to do with the depeltion of the other game birds, animals.

When growing up we cribbed ear corn which was a great environment for mice. We commonly saw large bull snakes back then but stored ear corn was mostly gone by the early 80s and so were the bull snakes. With farming being more profitable now than it was in all the 80s,90s and early 2000s and land selling for $10,000/acre+, every fence row, odd spot, tree lined draw is being bulldozed, cut down and drained. Much CRP is also being returned to row crop. I'd say don't look for pheasants and quail to be coming back any time soon. Deer on the other hand are thick as ever along areas with major streams and rivers - need more meat hunters and fewer rack hunters I guess.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back