O/T Hamburgers Rare

I met him at a party years ago. He stood off to the side for a long time, rarely talking to anyone; he was as out of place as I was. I was manning the grill thinking it was the best place to meet and get to know this new group of people in my life. He eventually came over and asked if I would grill him a hamburger rare and he meant RARE. He must have liked my cooking; he ate six hamburgers rare; we talked off and on for most of the evening. I could tell he had lived a rough life by the way he talked. He told me that backyard cookouts were unheard of in his neighborhood when he was growing up. I never saw or talked to him again.

Over the years Samantha told me a little about him. He had been in a lot of trouble when he was younger but had straightened himself out and finished high school. He wanted to make up for the things he had done wrong in life so he joined the United States Army. The morning after the party where I met him; he left for boot camp.

The call came down at 2 a.m. this morning. Sam wanted to know if I remembered him and would it be okay if he spent Spring Fling weekend with our crew at the lake. The most important thing she wanted to know was; would I grill hamburgers for him. Eric Ramirez; twice wounded in Afghanistan and walking on a prosthetic left foot will come home on April 14th to stay. My reply to Samantha was – tell him he will get hamburgers anyway he wants and as many as he wants.

I take a great deal of pride in being asked to do this for my new hero.

The bacteriology course that I took in college cured me of eating any meat "rare". Looking at all of those live bacteria under a microscope told me that it was too much of a threat to my health.

The incidence of people getting sick from various bacteria would not happen if the food was cooked sufficiently.

What he has endured overseas entitles him to burgers any way he wants them. Tell him thanks from central Ne. AND GOD BLESS

Roger , you are a great guy. Thank you for shareing that story about another war hero. This country needs more people like you guys. clint

I'm going prepared. Placed my order with a small local Meat Market today. T-Bone Steaks, Prime Rib, Spiral Cut Honey Glazed Ham, Pork Loin, Chicken Breasts, Sausage - Country, German Rope, Andoullie and of course Hamburger. They are a little bit higher than the grocery stores but the quality is well worth it. I am really looking forwards to the 20th.

Roger- you did a great service to him, and he has done a great service to US and us. Please pass along the thanks from a mid 60s Army Green Beret, for his service, and his sacrifice. We will never forget!

Enjoyed this alot,made me feel proud I'm a American
We are lucky we have men like him!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back