o/t Some GOOD things about Dad

phillip d

He's the youngest of 5 children,when my Grandfather got sick when he was in grade 9,he quit school to put the crops in and never went back.I don't know anyone who worked harder than he did when he was well.I've seen him fix down equipment till 1 in the morning and get back up at 5 to do the milking.He thought nothing of his health or safety,just focused on getting the work done.He loves to hear a good story and tell one too.He is very good at talking to anyone for hours.He's been at death's door atleast 5 times over the last 20 years and has just bounced back every time to date,most doctors have said a men half his age have died from the sickness' he's had over the years.I truely wish I was his best friend,but I'm so different in ways than he is we just love eachother more than the other knows and hardly ever seem to be able to talk about anything other than work related topics.He's gotten through severe battles of depression,which I have sometimes too,carried on after my sister was killed by two drunk drivers when she was 17 also.Boy could the two of them fight lol.He was able to stop dinking and smoking almost 30 years ago now,somthing that some people never seem to be able to do.He sure loves politics,you can always count on him getting a dig in on someone than he knows is a member of the opposing party lol.There's almost nothing he couldn't fix when he was healthier.He used to love fast cars,I've heard the same stories about his 63' Pontiac with the 327 that had a holley carb,11:1 compression,solid lifters,posi-traction and a 3 on the wheel.They say it was the fastest car around here at the time.Even the police used to drag with him and couldn't catch him.Guess they were running fords lol.Till it got that he couldn't work,he almost never took a moment for himself,just work work work.When you live a few hundred feet from your barn,the work's never done.It's highly likely that we're just too much alike in some ways.Before anyone says "Tell him yourself"I have.He's told me that he cares about me too,but only when he thought he wasn't going to make it out of the hospital though lol.Otherwise,I'd better be on my toes,which isn't a bad idea.Now my own kids and I are like peas and carrots.Every night I tell my 10 yr old son,although he's getting abit old for it now,and my 4 yr old daughter,she's got a few more years of it to go "your the best boy/girl a daddy could ever have,and don't you fooooorrrget.If I'm tired and forget to say it,they say "Dad,you're forgetting somthing!My Dad and I will continue to tinker at the old tractors in the future,he will yell at me as he usually does,and if he passes before I do,I'll bawl like a little kid and miss him for the rest of my days.pd.

Will Phillip, Thats great all you remember of your dad,,,, see its not all bad. Sounds like you guys had some good times. Better just look at the positive and let the negitive go.:). I will admit sometimes its hard to bite your tongue. Im learning to do it. J

it's nice that you and your dad can spend time together. I don't get to spend much time with my dad. charish the good times and remenber when they snap at you it's not you he snapping at. may just just be that he can't do the things the way he use to do and just bug's him. david

Thanks for sharing, beautiful story, I never really knew my dad as there was a divorce when I was young but I still had like 4 dads in a grandfather and 3 uncles who loved me as much as their own kids. We raised 3 of our own who all turned out real well so we must have done something right along the way.

Thanks again, God Bless

John T

Phillip D I'll be 78 next month. I never knew my dad growing up. He didnt care enough to stay around and watch us grow up. I can remember my dad once when I was arond 2 or three. I wanted to go with him as he went for some cigarettes. He said " no son I'll be right back". Dont remember much about him after that. His girlfriend mailed me his pocket watch when he died. It was't his choice, she thought I should have it. Sooooo having said that, I suggest you just walk up to you Dad and give him a big hug. Do this every time you see him. He will get used to it. Do it for me and tell him that its a hug from one old codger to another. CC

Now thats the kind of things you need to think of and thats the state of mind you need to have, good for you and best of luck.

Take a mental snapshot of every moment. Remember, all of those questions you may want to ask after he is gone, will go unanswered unless you ask them now.

The little things that keep you apart don't amount to crap!

Relish each moment you have together.

Gene

hi phillip like the other post say enjoy him as much as you can.my dad is still gong at 71 had a bypass few years ago.we cut alot of firewood and fencepost together through the years was always a nice time spent together.but on the other hand my mother died while standing right beside me when i was 9 years old she had ruematic fever when she was a child and it effected her heart she died at 27 yrs old of a heart attack that was in 1966.so cherish the time you have with him RICK

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back