Ive been working on a Oliver 1655 Diesel
for a buddy.

Here's the back story. About 2 years ago it
spun a bearing on number 5. It went to a
shop that had experience working on
Olivers. Replaced bearings, cylinder liner
on 5, worked the crank. Buddy got it back
ran it a few hours and it developed a miss
and was putting oil through the exhaust.

This is where i came in. He asked me to
look at it. Found no compression on
cylinder 2. Pulled it down. Scored liner
and piston. I measured the other liners and
they were on the upper end of tolerances so
i decided to redo the bottom end. Put it
all together and fired it up. Ran great.
Told him to work it hard to seat the rings
which he did. (Don't have a dyno laying
around our farm). Ran about 8 to 10 tach
hours and get a call tonight that it's
putting oil through the exhaust again, a
lot.no miss while running. Just oil.

What's being missed here. Obviously we're
both missing something for it to keep doing
this. Its got us perplexed.

Where do you want to start? Take the exhaust manifold off and see which ports the oil comes out of. Does the engine get up to operating temperature? You don't have enough time on it to seat the rings. Did you redo the head? How are the injectors? start there.

Do you recall if all the valves are ABOVE the head surface? If not engine will wet stack due to lower compression heat. My White 4-78 forklift was hard starting when I got it, compression was 280-300. Pulled the head and found all valves flush to a bit below. Was told valves should be .040-.045 above, as pistons have a deep .135 valve clearance pocket, plus the head gasket thickness. With that much room I had the head fellow put in all new seats, and shoot for .090-.095 above. Now it has 350-360 compression and starts as it should. If engine does need to come down, it's worth a look.

I can tell you with certainty that this is oil. Its dropped the oil in the crankcase. I also know what wet stacking looks like. Im a IH guy and one of our tractors when its cold out and it's not ran heavily enough to get it warm will wet stack.

Yeah, the injectors were sent in when it was torn down and checked. It does get up to operating temperature as well.

Bummer.. Sounds serious if oil level is dropping. The IH 560D I tractor ride with used to slobber down the block side when it had 310-320 PSI compression. Now that it's 380-390 it stopped dripping completely.

The head was redone the first time. I
looked it over and it seemed fine so i
admittedly left it alone. Especially when i
found the scored piston and sleeve.

Is there anything besides the rocker arms
and valves that would put oil in the
cylinder? I know this is a dumb question
but if a ring has let go i would think
there should be a miss. I feel bad about
this, this is the first engine job that ive
ever had go bad like this and it gotten me
perplexed what we are missing.

I?m not an expert on engines by any means, but the first thing I would check is whether the crankcase is under pressure - although I would expect oil to leak past the crank seals, for starters. Serious blow-by might still be poorly broken-in riings. I heard of John Deere having problems with some new engines using oil and there were some very effective, but non-standard, procedures used to bed in the rings! But I expect that was burning oil rather than leaking it out the exhaust.

There are other reasons why oil could be pumped past the rings, but presumably we can discount upside down rings or wrong ring gap setting etc, etc?

It came as a kit so no i didn't put the rings in upside down plus why would it be fine the first 10 hrs of operation and then rear its ugly head? If installed wrong wouldn't it have been a problem from the start? I gapped them properly by the book.

Well I say if you're confident in your bottom end work and have good oil pressure, I'd be pulling the exhaust manifold, find the offending cylinder(s) and take a hard look at the head.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back