Oil in Proofmeter - 52 8N

Ds4x4

New User
I couldn't find this via the search, this is on a 1952 8n. I replaced the original proofmeter and cable from this site but I keep getting oil in the proofmeter. Its also going straight to max reading at startup. Do I have an issue with too much oil in the gov assembly or missing a gasket of some sort? I'm a little lost on the next troubleshooting steps without getting a cable from a different supplier and taking the proofmeter apart.

mvphoto109933.jpg

Ds4x4 , The proofmeter drive seal in the governor is leaking letting oil past the seal into the cable and getting in the proofmeter.You will need to replace that leaking seal.Maybe flush out the proofmeter with a small amount of gas not thinner a couple of times to get the oil out.

Hi Ds4x4, suggest pull your
governor and take a look inside.
Compare your drive shaft grooves
to the ones in the link.

Remember the short gov mounting
bolt goes in the top hole.
(The cam gear will get chewed up
if the long bolt is mistakenly put
in the top hole.)
Groovy thread

These meters are really top notch. The cable I ordered with mine was about 1 1/2 inch to short to
run the meter. Then when I installed a universal cable to fit, the meter runs backwards.

In addition to the spiral groove in the governor shaft that ''screws'' oil back into the governor, I think there may be a left and a right ''wind''/'twist'' in the actual cable and if the cable is moving oil up to the governor, the manufacturer in ''The Land of Almost right didn't take that into account and use the correct cable stock for the direction the cable rotates.

Also, excess blowby or a restricted crankcase breather CAN contribute to oil moving to where it's not supposed to be.

Thank you for all the suggestions, maybe ill just take off the gov and see what it all looks like and clean it real good. I have to look through the parts book but is the drive seal replaceable or even available still? This is the second cable I've tried as the first one split at the gov side threads trying to tighten it down.

(quoted from post at 11:56:04 09/20/23) Hi Ds4x4, suggest pull your
governor and take a look inside.
Compare your drive shaft grooves
to the ones in the link.

Remember the short gov mounting
bolt goes in the top hole.
(The cam gear will get chewed up
if the long bolt is mistakenly put
in the top hole.)
Groovy thread

Thank you for the Link!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back