Oliver 1365 project

dirtroader

New User
Hey guys, I purchased a 1975 Oliver 1365 FWA recently. Really excited about it. Just digging into it for repairs now, restoration to follow sometime in the future. Some questions popped up that I hope you guys can help me out with. The thermostart system. Was that standard? Someone in the past took the multi position starter lever off and replaced it with a button (I assume it was replaced). I also do not see the tank on top of the engine that is supposed to hold the fuel for the thermostart.
Secondly, the power steering works, but lot of play in the steering wheel. I accessed the power steering system under the battery box and attempted to adjust and understand the system. It seems like the only correction is to replace bushings. Are the main pin bushings under the grease fitting the most likely cause? Everything connecting directly to the steering control valve seems fairly tight and in good condition. I assume the play I have is abnormal, it's been many years since I operating a different 1365 growing up on the farm.
And thirdly, where is the best parts source for these old girls? I need parts for the things mentioned above, a left fender (someone cut it so it would be easier to get on and off the tractor) a seat, and misc seals. For now haha.
Thanks a bunch, and look forward to the project and talking shop with you all.
Jesse
 
As far as the steering, here's a link to an old post between Mitch Poindexter and me, complete with a lot of pictures. I don't know if it'll answer all your questions about the steering, but it'll help. The thermostart I believe was standard. Somebody had replaced my switch with a button too. I got a new switch from Rick Stair and Ricks Ag Parts dot com. He's one of the best sources, but believe it or not, I've had excellent luck going right through the AGCO dealer. There are pictures in the link of the new seat I put on mine. It's an aftermarket, but it makes those things sit and ride like a Cadillac. You'll just have to make a mounting plate. I used half inch plate to make one. It turned out great.
The tank on that heater, I think that's mounted on the dash and has a hose, but I wouldn't swear to it. I'll have to look, if Mitch or Traditional Farmer don't tell you for sure first. I think you'll love that tractor. I sure do mine.
Link
 
Thanks for you guy's input. I think I will go with that aftermarket seat, thanks for the info on that. I'll be using the tractor, even after it's restored someday, so comfort will be a plus. I have a WL-42 loader purchased for it I need to pick up. As far as the steering, I read over the old conversation. Maybe mine will end up being just enough play in everything to add up to a lot at the steering wheel. When you guys are all fixed up how much turn would you say you have side to side before it engages? The play like an old worn out farm truck steering feeling you know. I read new and perfect when adjusting the adjustment bolts they call for 1/16" gap. If I tighten mine at all from where they are it doesn't actuate the control valve. Might be on ongoing longer fix for later. At least it works. Thanks for the parts information, I'll order a starter lever switch and dig into the thermostart system more to see what is going on. Hopefully I do have the small holding thank then, I saw a picture of a 3 cyl and it was on top and obvious. I'll take some more sheet metal off and investigate if deer season doesn't delay me too much. Fun stuff, I'll attempt some pics at some point. Thanks again
 
I misspoke on that tank being on the front of the dash. If it isn't mounted on the engine, it'll be on the firewall ahead of the fuel
tank where the voltage regulator is. As far as the steering, it sounds excessive, but I'd estimate I have close to half a turn with the
engine not running. It's just not something that I even give a second thought to.
 
Well heck, maybe I'm trying to fix something that can't be fixed. It just seemed like a lot, especially going down the road in high gear. However, looking at it and thinking about the operation of it I couldn't think of a way to make it less play. Thanks for the response on that. Seat and switch ordered, will dig further into the thermostart and whatever else I run into
 
I checked the steering this morning before I started it. Three spoke steering wheel of course, it turns just a hair over a third of a turn, just more than one spoke. It was raining and I forgot to look for that heater fuel tank. I was soaking wet.
 

cvphoto60238.jpg


Thanks for checking that. It's good to know, I bet mine is about that much. I think I'm missing most or all of the thermostart system when looking through the parts manual. I attempted to attach a picture of the top of the engine.
 
I was just using that thing and thought to look under the hood. That little tank is at the back of the intake manifold, just ahead of the firewall. There's a hose going from the end of the return line on the injectors and one coming out that returns to the fuel tank.
 
I ended up adjusting the steering as tight as you can without restricting the control valves operation, and I got to say it's much better. Its probably about how yours is now. Thanks for all the input on that one. Now on to sourcing out parts for the thermostart.
 
I also have a 1975 Oliver 1365 and have no parts of the thermostart system on my tractor. I talked to Rick at Ricks ag parts, he figures the last year they made them the thermostart was left off some of the last 1365's made. That said, I'd also like to add it to mine. Most parts can be sourced. The tank, the switch, and the heater itself. The part that I need to source is the fuel connection to the thermostarter. Also pictures of the hose routing and the wiring would be very helpful.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top