Oliver 1800A Pto

2SteveWI

I was using my 1800A on a 3 pt. stump Grinder and the pto stopped and started grinding at back of engine. Pulled the shaft and it was stripped out in the last 1/8 inch of splines. Pulled the engine and the solid pto hub in flywheel was also stripped for 1/8 inch of about 1 inch engagement surface. I had a second plug that goes behind the shaft and compared that to the original one. The one in the tractor had worn cup shape enough to allow the shaft to move back nearly an inch. Has anyone seen this before or is there two different plugs. Will probably put it all back together with the other plug to keep shaft fully engaged. Steve.
IMG_1113.JPG

I cant see how it could wear enough to let your shaft come back nearly an inch? Are you sure the snap rind that goes behind the spacer plug was in the groove?

I cant see how it could wear enough to let your shaft come back nearly an inch? Are you sure the snap rind that goes behind the spacer plug was in the groove?
Snap ring was in place when I pulled the shaft. The plug is worn shorter and the shaft has a cone worn on end.

Are those the right plugs? The parts book shows part number 103898A. I just did a quick google search and the 1800 plug that showed up looks different/longer than what you have pictured. Am I looking or understanding incorrectly?

Are those the right plugs? The parts book shows part number 103898A. I just did a quick google search and the 1800 plug that showed up looks different/longer than what you have pictured. Am I looking or understanding incorrectly?

You could be right. I looked at the picture and it does appear longer. I put everything back together today and with the shaft pushed all the way forward there is still 1/4 inch gap between the longer plug i have and snap ring. I may put a couple washers behind plug until I can check into that.

Was thinking about your post today as I was pulling PTO out of 1800. In looking at couple of books there are indeed two different plugs. Longer one that scooter posted is for 2 speed PTO shorter one like you have is for single speed. Other thing is you mentioned that your drive hub is a solid one? According to what book says all 1800's were dampener style drive hub like pictured below. There was a bulletin that came out later on that had a field conversion to solid hub like yours that involved reworking the flywheel. Maybe yours didnt get done right or maybe someone swapped in a later flywheel? Either way doesnt really matter as it sounds like you have a solution with your newish plug and couple spacers. Attached pic of plug dimension I pulled out today just for reference.

Attachments

• 1713750902534.png
    1713750902534.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_IMG_8506 PTO drive dampener.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8506 PTO drive dampener.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • thumbnail_IMG_8512 1800 PTO plug.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8512 1800 PTO plug.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 11
Was thinking about your post today as I was pulling PTO out of 1800. In looking at couple of books there are indeed two different plugs. Longer one that scooter posted is for 2 speed PTO shorter one like you have is for single speed. Other thing is you mentioned that your drive hub is a solid one? According to what book says all 1800's were dampener style drive hub like pictured below. There was a bulletin that came out later on that had a field conversion to solid hub like yours that involved reworking the flywheel. Maybe yours didnt get done right or maybe someone swapped in a later flywheel? Either way doesnt really matter as it sounds like you have a solution with your newish plug and couple spacers. Attached pic of plug dimension I pulled out today just for reference.
Thanks for checking out your PTO. I can't read numbers on caliper but the plug in the pictures look the same as mine. The plug I put back in was roughly 1 1/4 inch tall. Got tractor back together and working again. time will tell if it works long term. Only put about ten hours a year on this tractor. This is an early 1800A not sure if Dual PTO was available In Sept. of 1960.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back