Oliver 64 drill settings?

Oliver 64 drill settings? It has a chart in the front lid. But I do not have an operators manual. I would like to know how to set it for a three way forage mix to be cut for hay. Seed supplier said to put on 40 lbs per acre. The chart has settings for wheat, barley and oats. But not for all three as a mix. Also not sure how the distributor works. Chart references a 12 tooth on the left side, but mine has a 13 tooth gear on the left side at the top. Anyone have a manual they could share pictures of till I can get a manual. Has anyone planted a three way with one of these drills. What are the covers for in the bottom of the large seed box? Thanks for any help?

Those covers in the box flip from one side to the other for larger or smaller seeds. If you're trying to plant a mix of different seed sizes, I'm afraid it'll be just a matter of precision guesswork. The speed settings on the transmission are more important than that 12 or 13 tooth gear. That's what actually determines the speed of rotation of the shaft in the seed box. One of the most accurate drills you'll ever find, but with that mixed seed, you'll have to find the right settings on your own unless somebody has already planted the same mix and wrote it down.

Hi:

I do not have information to help with the settings. I do have a question on rrlund comment.

The comment "The speed settings on the transmission are more important than that 12 or 13 tooth gear. That's what actually determines the speed of rotation of the shaft in the seed box." seems to imply that if you go slow you will seed more than if if you go fast.

Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks for the clarity.

No, not if you go slow, but they don't have sliding flutes like most drills. Like I said, there are two different sides for large
or small seed, but seeding rates are determined by how fast or slow the shaft turns to drop seed. It's not that the 12 of 13 tooth
doesn't matter, the chart should have settings for either, but seed rate is primarily determined by what gear the transmission is
in.

Here is a few pages that might help.
cvphoto122368.jpg

cvphoto122369.jpg

cvphoto122370.jpg

cvphoto122371.jpg

cvphoto122372.jpg

cvphoto122373.jpg

Heres my drill in action!
<video width=90% src=https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cvvideos/cvvideo122377.mov controls>http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/cvvideos/cvvideo122377.mov</video>

cvphoto122379.jpg

Hi rrlund:

Thanks for the clarification. So, as the shaft controlling the feed turns faster or slower it will distribute seed at a rate not in line with the chart. Is that correct? That is unless the drill uses fluted dispenser, and therefor one must know the speed the drill was calibrated for.

Sorry, I should post this as a new topic. I just find it fascinating that I could change my seeding rate by changing my tractor speed.

Thanks for you thoughts

Not by changing tractor speed. It drives off the wheels. Changing transmission speed on the drill is how you set the rate. The
faster that shaft turns, the more seeds it drops per foot. Ground speed of the tractor doesn't matter. The chart in the box tells
you the gears that the transmission needs to be in to get the proper rate per acre. You're just not going to find the rate for a
mix of three different seed sizes. You'll have to keep playing with transmission speed to get the rate right is the only point I
was making. I think somebody on T Talk told you the formula to use to catch some from one tube and know how many pounds you're
getting on didn't they?

Hi rrlund:

Thanks for the added information. I am not the original poster. I am adding to my general knowledge, which I probably will never use but find fascinating.

Thanks

Ya I realized you weren't the OP after I posted the reply. That's what's so nice about them, there's no room for error like there
is with a drill with sliding flutes. The same amount will go through the cups no matter what, how fast it gets pushed out and
dropped depends on the shaft speed of the cups.

I will admit that I am no mental heavy weight. I talked to my seed supplier. And he said most farmers just use the barley setting. But it was 17 degrees the morning I tried to change it to 6-11. I could not get it to shift. Took the cover off and found that it had ice in the bottom. Had to use a tire tool to dig out the ice. That was pretty close but after planting a few rounds I decided to go with 5-12 that was 84 lbs per acre. Anyway I was shooting for 100 lbs an acre. I used 1650 lbs to plant 16 acres. This is the best site!! Thanks for all your help. I will order a manual. Today I took the gearbox off and steamed it out. Note that there is no drain plug. But if you take out the mounting bolts most of the oil could drain out. She will have new oil in it tomorrow.
cvphoto122480.jpg
The A Farmall did a good job of pulling it. Yes it has a John Deere umbrella, a Gradall seat and a Case three point hitch. Hard to belive it was 17 in the morning and I needed an umbrella in the afternoon. Only in Utah!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back