Open center hydraulic pump closed center backhoe? Can they work together?

Hi everyone,
So my Massey Ferguson 50A runs on an open center hydraulic pump and I wanted to know if there was a way to put a JD 9250 closed center backhoe on this tractors hydraulic set up? With out costing a fortune? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Connected directly the pump will burn up quickly. An open center system expects to be able to pump oil continuously while a closed center only pumps when there is demand for oil.

I don't know of any kind of inexpensive way to make them work together. John Deere pull-type forage harvesters had some kind of device on them that allowed them to be used with open center tractors. Apparently they needed constant hydraulic pressure to function. I don't know if that system would work for you, where you would even find one, or how much they cost...

It wouldn't be easy, but you could replace the control valve bank with an open center one...

Another thought: You might want to see if the backhoe can be easily converted to open center. It might just involve removing a plug somewhere.

Hi everyone,
So my Massey Ferguson 50A runs on an open center hydraulic pump and I wanted to know if there was a way to put a JD 9250 closed center backhoe on this tractors hydraulic set up? With out costing a fortune? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Not all JDs were closed center. Are you sure the hoe came off a closed center machine?

Depends on the valve on the backhoe. if it is convertible to open center, yes if you have the parts.

If not convertible, and an original valve might not be then you would have to replace the valve.

It’s off a John Deere 300b which is closed center I believe. That’s the info I found from tractor data. It’s dirt cheap I went to the John Deere dealer next to my work in Nh and they were useless lol I’ve never left a dealer scratching my head like that… I have another option I am going to look at this weekend it’s a Massey 222 which is the better option to match the tractor it’s just a lot more money.

That is what I thought I just figured I would ask if anyone had any ideas but thank you all for your help the dealership should hire you guys. They literally told me they don’t know what I am talking about. Just being lazy I guess… thanks again guys

It’s off a John Deere 300b which is closed center I believe. That’s the info I found from tractor data. It’s dirt cheap I went to the John Deere dealer next to my work in Nh and they were useless lol I’ve never left a dealer scratching my head like that… I have another option I am going to look at this weekend it’s a Massey 222 which is the better option to match the tractor it’s just a lot more money.
Be aware if a backhoe uses a rotary swing cylinder and it needs repair, finding parts can be difficult and expensive. I believe the 222 used a rotary cylinder and someone here recently was/is hunting for parts and not having get luck.

Yeah I am aware. I am in need of a backhoe for my tractor in a bad way. I know this is a rotary swing cylinder and he said it did leak but not to bad I am going to look at it tomorrow. My tractor needs a frame mounted backhoe and I am having trouble locating one that’s remotely close I actually bid on one in Idaho last week i probably should have gotten it but I backed off because it was so far away. If anyone knows of one for sale in the north east New England area let me know!

If you are capable of grafting different manufacturers together, look for a Ford 755 backhoe…. The easiest to find nationwide and easiest to find parts for and has the open center system that you want.
Not knowing the attaching method of your M-F, you might also want to look at the next generation of Fords, starting with the 550, in which the backhoe bolted to the main frame in lieu of the clamp/tie bolt method of the old 4500. Can get those with joysticks if you want.

I have a Massey 50A with mounting hooks in the rear I’ll attach a picture. I looked at an older ford that had the same pins style hook up mine has but the main valves leaked like a siv.

Attachments

• IMG_0739.jpeg
    IMG_0739.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0738.jpeg
    IMG_0738.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 17
Hi everyone,
Thanks in advance
You can use your open center tractor pump with the closed center valve bank by installing an unloaded valve between the pump and the valve. An unloader valve acts much the same as a relief valve except it monitors downstream pressure whereas a relief valve reacts to upstream pressure. I've been out of this field for a number of years, so I can't suggest any sources for an unloaded, but the major hydraulic component manufacturers used to offer them. One potential issue is chattering of the unloader due to leakage downstream of the unloader. If it occurs, try an accumulator to dampen pressure fluctuations. You will also need a return line from the unloader to the hydraulic reservoir. Shouldn't be a problem, but be aware of the need before you buy.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back