OT: Burned by a big old doe....

Tom Bond

Was way to windy to stay in the stand today with gusts up to 30 mph so I set up on the ground. I've taken a few from by this old osage orange tree cluster in the past. Right around 6:30 and getting dark, I begin not paying attention and start looking around the ground to see what I need to pack up. Sure as you know what, I look up and here she comes at about 25 yards. She heard me move my bow from my ground stake and the confrontation was on! She was a HUGE old doe, probably close to 190lbs, long face and gray. She bobbed, stomped and finally blew 3 or 4 times before she was gone. Would of been an easy 15 yard shot on the trail she was coming down had I been paying attention and seen her coming a long way off. Keep telling myself...STAY PUT AND ALERT TILL DARK!!! Here's a picture of the tree I was by and one facing the area she was coming from. Kinda tractor related, I mow the edges with my 4000....
mvphoto11705.jpg

mvphoto11706.jpg

Tom Bond- Heck, how many do you want? Come on over
here and shoot all you can see.

Dang things are everywhere..

Ditto...although now that the season is open they are not standing out in the soybeans chomping away without a care.

Tom stop on by. You can set on my porch and set in the swing an get all the deer you want walking along the yard fence. I counted 19 in under an hour last Friday.

Yesterday my daughter and her husband were hunting on
my property and had no luck early in the am, although
she had watched a doe and her fawn for 1 1/2 hrs. After
breakfast they went back to their hunting and found the
doe had just been killed by a cougar. It's neck was
broke and their were scratch marks on her back. First
time they had ever got any thing without firing a shot.
There had been previous sightings of a cougar. Now when I go into the forest I am armed.
What would you do to get rid of the cougar?

Looks like it's going to be a good season, although we've had a lot of rain the first few days. I don't bow hunt, but I saw six does in my soybean plot and 3 near a sand blow. I have the only corn in the section; everyone else planted beans. I also have a nice patch of clover on the power line. Looking forward to November gun season.

Larry

My hunting areas are narrow woods patches surrounded by corn. The farmer got these fields in very late so they are just starting to turn. I don't want to shoot one because it will run for the middle of the field and I would be destroying a lot of corn getting it out. I talked to the farmer Saturday and he said he is looking at middle to late December for these fields. Then he is also getting a dozer in as weather permits and all the wood strips I now hunt are going to be fields in the next year or two. I am basically out of an area to hunt now. I would like to find another place not too far from home to hunt, but some are leasing everything they can get, as well as more hunters are getting their children started too.

Yeah, my shoulders are messed up enough that I don't bow hunt anymore either. Muzzleloader season starts here on the 18th. Got two turkeys last night though.

If you don't own your own land, finding good hunting can be tough. However, if you start looking now you should be able to come up with hunting land. Sounds like you have a couple of offers on here already.

Oh yeah. I kinda used to keep track of the number of times the deer beat me x me beating the deer. I was doing an outdoor column for a local newspapaer at the time and it was a way for me to make fun of myself and give the readers a laugh or two. By the end of the season the score would read something like, Deer: 175---------Bozo hunter: 0 (or maybe 1 or 2 if I was lucky). My readers had a lot of fun with it and I took a lot of good natured ribbing about it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back