OT ---- ELECTRIC HOT WATER HEATER

lenray

The reset button on the top thermostat is kicking off---thinking the water is getting too hot and it kicks out. THE QUESTION---How do I find the problem???

Top or bottom heating element---bottom thermostat or top thermostat. Is there a way to tell which one is the problem????

Could be the lower element. Sometimes they break, short to ground and continue to heat even with the thermostat open.

Power off, disconnect the lower element, check it with an ohm meter. Should have continuity across the screws, open to ground. If open or grounded, replace the element.

If sediment is built up to the element, it will have to be cleaned out or the heater replaced.

Also be sure both thermostats are clamped firmly against the tank. If they are not in contact with the tank they can't read the temperature.

lenray; somewhere I have a pamphlet which describes the procedures for troubleshooting electric water heater problems. When you have good instructions there's not much to it. It seems like the kind of thing that YouTube videos would be perfect for.

Stan

Dusty MI; I understand that it's a water heater, not a hot water heater (and the sidewalk is made of concrete, not cement). That notwithstanding, if you had water that was 160 degrees and you needed it to be 180 degrees, how would you get it to the higher temperature other than to heat it?

Stan

I'll ad to Steve's info that an open element that is not shorted usually does not cause a reset to pop. With the circuit breaker off for the heater at the breaker panel, and both wires off of the element, a good element will read between 10 and 18 ohms. There will also be no connection to the tank metal from either screw ever. Jim

bottom element. from now on drain and flush the heater yearly and you won't have this problem again. you ask how i know; i was a slow learner!

In view that 90% of plumbers can't do what you ask,it's a tall order telling you how but here go's.
Check elements for contonuty as someone already explained. If both elements test good,set both stats at medium then check temperature of water after water has been drawn,reheated and cycled off(and/or reset pops. If water is more than 140f,one or both t-stats are stuck and failing to cut power when set point has been reached. If button pop's before 160f,reset is defective. To find if and which stat is defective. Cut power to heater until hot water has been used and tank is full of cold water. Restore power and put volt meter accross top element screws. There should be 150-240 volts. Test bottom element and t-stat, should have 120v between both element screws and tank and/or green ground. Should have 120v between one stat screw and tank/green ground. I clip buzzer wires across lower element screws and go about my business until I hear buzzer(meaning top reached set point and diverted power to bottom. Figure out your own way or just keep testing until it happens. IF LOWER FAILS TO TURN OFF and reset pops,low stat is bad. If low element continues having 150-250v across screws for hours AND reset DOESN'T pop,low element is defective.
Having going over all that,I'm confident your trouble is not either element but is top stat stuck and not switching off when set point reached---OR---defective reset.

Yep never can understand some one wanting to heat hot water. Once it is hot why heat it again unless you want to run a steam engine and then it is not hot water it is hot steam

Why heat hot water?? So the term should be water heater not hot water heater since once hot one does not need to reheat it.
Goo chance the bottom element has shorted out

Go to Lowes and get the whole kit, elements and thermostats, for under thirty bucks and be done with it.

most likely lower thermostat, i always check it first when reset button pops, i take thermostat out hook ohms meter across they terminals , it should be closed, then heat back of thermostat where it touches tank,usually a lighter will work, it should open ,if not replace thermostat, what happens lower thermostat stays closed and keeps heating the water hotter and hotter until temp gets to hot and kicks reset button.

"The reset button on the top thermostat is kicking off---thinking the water is getting too hot and it kicks out."

Replace both thermostats and reset button. When reset button fails, your next line of safety is the pop off valve.
If that fails, BOOM.

If heating elements are bad, no way will it over heat.

I've had them overheat from a bad element, usually or always the lower. Both element have one side hot at all times and they can develop a short that's grounded through the water so they're never actually off no matter what the thermostats do.

I cant say sitting here what's causing it but in such cases I agree its easy to buy a replacement kit and be done with it. I always get a kick out of some people calling them "hot water heaters" and others "water heaters" LOL I've heard them called BOTH for years among plumbers and lay people alike so either name is fine by me, call them whatever you like and I bet Lowes will still guide you to the same place and sell you one...

John T

(quoted from post at 10:03:19 10/18/19) I cant say sitting here what's causing it but in such cases I agree its easy to buy a replacement kit and be done with it. I always get a kick out of some people calling them "hot water heaters" and others "water heaters" LOL I've heard them called BOTH for years among plumbers and lay people alike so either name is fine by me, call them whatever you like and I bet Lowes will still guide you to the same place and sell you one...

John T
nd here, I thought a 'hot' water heater was one that was stolen! :lol:

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP----I replaced the lower element and it seems to be working.

Going to have another question up above--on TOOL talk---propane tank question...

Well, I hate to tell you this, but, yes, the water does need to be reheated. So, in that sense, it is not only a "water heater", but a "hot water heater" or, better yet, a "water re-heater". Does that make any sense into your demented head? In an attempt, probably futile, to make it more understandable, there is a a definition to the word "hot". Look it up.

Old. So as in don't try to prove that you have a better grasp of English grammar, syntax, spelling. than the other members here. That ain't gonna fly .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back