ot Johnson Outboard

Anonymous-0

Anyone know of a site like this to get advice on a Johnson outboard. I have a 15hp I am trying to sell boat and all. I had not used the motor in several years although it just had a fresh tune-up when I quit using it. Kept it in the basement all this time. After about a half hour of trying to start it, I finally got it running (it is in a 55gal drum) and it ran great. Everyday I would give it a pull, start right up and then let it runa little bit. Went 5 days without starting and now I cannot get it to start and stay running. Will run for a few seconds on ether and then stall. Put fresh gas to it - no help.

Don't know about the outboard site but it sounds like a fuel issue. I would look for a clog or a leak in the pump system. Could be a dirty carb as well. Try taking the fuel line off the carb and spray gumout in the port. It should spray out into the carb throat and show that you have it cleaned.

Good luck

(quoted from post at 13:27:37 05/31/10) Anyone know of a site like this to get advice on a Johnson outboard. I have a 15hp I am trying to sell boat and all. I had not used the motor in several years although it just had a fresh tune-up when I quit using it. Kept it in the basement all this time. After about a half hour of trying to start it, I finally got it running (it is in a 55gal drum) and it ran great. Everyday I would give it a pull, start right up and then let it runa little bit. Went 5 days without starting and now I cannot get it to start and stay running. Will run for a few seconds on ether and then stall. Put fresh gas to it - no help.

First, stop feeding it ether, it washes the lube from the crank bearings, the oil in the fuel encounters the crank long before it enters the combustion chamber, you will kill the motor with ether.

The idle circuitry is got trash and or varnish in it. If you could crack the throttle open and get the thing on the main jet it would probably start but the neatral safety includes the throttle on that one and you can't. The carb needs removed and cleaned.

Sounds like clogged carb. You would be wise to find a repair manual for it. Most outboards have ignition timing advance controlled by the throttle. They will have all of the timing advance come in BEFORE the throttle(s) on the carb(s) ever open. Pinging is death for an outboard. Pinging caused by too much timing advance or lean fuel mixtures will melt pistons before you ever realize what's going on.

Your motor probably has a diaphram in the carb,and is stiff,and varnish,etc in the carb.---lha

Yesterday about 10:30 I would have gladly traded my problem for yours. Had a 25 Mariner quit on Me and my Dad in the Mississippi River. Was able to paddle to the bank after drifting downstream about a mile. Finally heard a boat and was able to flag them down with a white Walmart bag. Nice folks towed us back to landing about 6 miles and on the opposite side of the river.No fire so looks like he has ignition module problems. Yours does sound like a fuel issue.

Thanks for all the feedback and the iboats site. Looks like a pretty good site and reviewing the posts matches what I am hearing here - it looks like carb rebuild is the way to go - I think I am gonna hafta find someone else for this though. Hate to spend the money when I am trying to sell, but just like one of these tractors, will sell faster and for more money if it runs!!!

DO not use berryman 12 on the carb you will melt the float do not soak in carb. cleaner.unscrew bowl drain and get the garbage out ,gosh just call 512/461/3380

[color=red:352d98ad4d][size=24:352d98ad4d]
STOP USING ETHER! [/size:352d98ad4d][/color:352d98ad4d] A two-stroke engine (like old outboards) circulate their fuel/oil mixture FROM the carb...THRU the crankcase (to lubricate it) and THEN into the cylinder. When that cylinder FIRES.... the entire crankcase can EXPLODE!

DOH!

If you can remove the carb (easy) and send to me I can clean it up and get you back up and running cheap. Its up to you to pump that old gas out of your tank and replce the water seperator and use pure gas nonethanol and you will be trouble free. http://www.pure-gas.org

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back