OT. kind of a rant

Greg K

Concerning a merging school district. Local school is consolidating with a neighboring district next year. The district boundaries are state line on the north, district east with 2 campuses, south district with no interest in consolidation, west district with a public school and catholic school, another district west not interested in consolidating.
The school board held a well advertised meeting several months ago and decided that it was in the best interest of the kids to merge with another district. They asked for peoples input and decided at the same meeting to attempt to merge to the west. School to the west is about 24 miles by highway, closer by gravel roads. District to the East is now up in arms because they assumed the merger would be with them since they are closer. There is a small newspaper in the district to the east that has an editor/owner that is VERY disappointed in this development. His editorial rants are rather strange to say the least.
The first claim was that the school board was to blame because there were hard feelings, Every merger has resulted in hard feelings. Next ludicrous claim is that some existing board members had no business being on the school board since their children were opted out to other districts(to the west), however this week he blasted them because 2 ex board members said they were made to feel they should resign because their kids were opted out. Which way do you want it? Add in some half told stories for fuel to the fire and I"m ready to cancel my subscription.
The school boards reasons for merging west are lower taxes (92 cents down to 62), district can afford to buy out teachers contracts, will try to keep k-4 classes here for as long as possible, willing to let building go to town in the future for apartments/community center etc.
Reasons to not go east are higher taxes, district cannot afford to buy out teachers contracts, want to demo old part of building but build a new building 20 miles away at the far end of the district where k-3 is at now and they need a bond for that.
I"m disappointed in the fact that the community let this happen by opting out almost 60% of the kids for one reason or another, and also for the fact that many school board elections went uncontested but now the people that are voted in are no good to the people who refused to take an active part. Now my kids need to find another school (they are opted in since I live in the district east but they started school there before I moved) but the consolidation is too far the wrong way for me, the East district with the editor has me looking to the district south which means all new kids and the unknown.
Sorry had to vent a bit

There is no good answer. Change is inevitable. All my life this has happened to us. If our one room school house hadn't closed 12 children. There would just be 4 going there now. All my grandkids. Then we went to another school, then it closed and went to another. It is still open 125. My high school closed with 40 or so. Our High School district is over 25 miles North and South. The one to the South is longer 35. Our boundaries make absolutely no sense. Sounds like what you need is more people! Same thing we need. I was on the school board during a consolidation. I have saved the letters (somewhere) I received. I imagine some of them wish they hadn't wrote them. We now have a great school that meets code, and is Air-conditioned and heated with ground water heat pumps. It will all work out! Vic

You're sure right about needing more people! I'm really not upset about anything other than one guy with a newspaper trying to stir the pot. What happens happens and it has been headed that way for quite a few years. Sucks to see happen but that is life.

I am in an area that is avoiding consolidation, and the students are getting hurt by it. The consolidated schools can provide more advanced classes than the independents.

(quoted from post at 19:21:10 01/23/14) I am in an area that is avoiding consolidation, and the students are getting hurt by it. The consolidated schools can provide more advanced classes than the independents.

Same thing here. When one school's building was condemned by the state the state stepped in and offered to build a consolidated high school and renovate the existing schools buildings to meet code. Each town would have retained the elementary and grade school. One school was running in the red and there the state was going to pay that schools debt and get them in the black. Locals from the condemned school's district lied to the voters about what was being offered and got a bond passed to build a new building. Now 20 years alter they have one entire wing shut down because of a lack of students. Students from the 3 high schools that the state wanted to consolidate have to attend junior college to catch up so they can compete in a regular 4 year college. They just don't have to number of students needed to spend the money that needs to be spent. Add in that there are not many well paying jobs in the area and the young people are leaving after school means lower enrollment and an older population that resist raising taxes to better fund the schools because they don't have kids in school.

Rick

Out town pulled out of a district about ten years ago. We couldn't get anything done for us by the superintendents office, because one of the two other towns was a lot bigger than us. We are a one town SAU now and the administration costs didn't seem to go up.

Welcome to politics/human nature/the real world.

How many kids do you have in the system? When our school closed/consolidated, we had three, down to one now. Surviving school is in the county seat. Despite all the hurt feelings/whining/it'll never work comments, it's gone pretty well. The kids adjust better than the parents do.

Here in Ohio a lot of kids are using ecot a home school via the computer.
Maybe look into it in your area ?

The lucky ones are the ones that don't merge. I live in one of the biggest school districts in NY.
Bigger schools means more drugs, more gangs, more overpaid employees not necessarily teachers, but the people on the top. Our school gets new buses quite often, but we don't pay for them, the state does Yea right. If you like your AG program you can keep your Ag program yea right.

Having been through a consolidation of consolidated schools, expect more administrators, higher salaries for administrators, and new buildings. Do NOT expect lower taxes.

And especially expect new offices for all those administrators.

Having a local News Paper is good, but we have one like that also. Anything to sell papers. It's neat when he is on your side, but well when he isn't.
Vic

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back