OT Kind of POed at boot company!!!!

JD Seller

I posted about how I was not real happy with my last pair of Redwing work shoes. Actually the last TWO pairs have not been anything special. So I wanted to try some other brands out.

One of the main things I wanted was a US made shoe. Not a China made shoe. Then sewed sole and side seams.

I looked at many different brands. I found this web site called Country Outfitter. They have many kinds of shoes/boots. They also have the best price I have found on the style/brand of jeans I wear for everyday( $21 verses $29-32 most other places) So I was ordering jeans and shirts from them anyway. This higher sale got me into free shipping plus some hefty discounts on additional purchases.

I found Chippewa Shoes/boots. They are from WI. Their web site goes on and on about how they are a US company and how great their shoes/boots are. Plus I really liked the look of a couple of styles of work boots they have. So I picked a pair out and added them to my order.

They came today. The jeans and Tee shirts are exactly what I usually wear. The work shoes look good and fit well. So what is the trouble then??? The darn things are made in CHINA!!!!!

Nothing on the outside of the box or in the web site tells you this. It is printed inside the tongue. Then to make it even better. IF I return the work shoes I have to pay the freight, PLUS a restocking fee. When you add that up I would lose about %40-50 percent of the purchase price. I am not willing to lose that much. I will darn sure not buy anything else from either company!!!!

I used to wear Redwing they got so they only lasted 2 years. I went to Chippewa insulated, waterproof ( Gore tec) and safety toe loggers boots and they last me about 5 years. You have to watch Chippewa boots they do have boots made only in USA ( higher price) and they do have boots made in China. You have to look close at what your buying.

Well They got me this time but not again!!!!

I did not pay a low price for the work shoes I got. I could have gone to Wally world and got 3-4 pairs for what I gave for these. They are insulated and waterproof.

My loggers cost $205.00 and like I said they last me 5 years. The Red Wings cost me around $150.00 and thats been some years back and they lasted a little over 2 years. I have found that the Chippewa boots are the easiest boots to break in.

I have right at $200 in these. They do seem to be breaking in fast. I just put them on this evening to get them started. If I would have sent them back I would have had around $70 in shipping and restocking fees. I decided to just try them out and see what happens.

That would upset me too. I try very hard to buy things made in the US also. For the next pair maybe you could try Carolina boots. A lot are made overseas, but they do have some boots that are made in Pennsylvania. They are open about which boots come from where.
Josh

I agree that they should advertise where they are made. You may have good luck. I used to wear American made Redwings and Justin but the quality and fit started to go down. I seldom ever got more than a year out of a pair. The last 2 pairs of boots have been China made Wolverine. The fit is better than the RW or Justin and they have lasted just as long if not a little longer. The price is about the same. I like to buy American made too but in the last few years quality has really gone downhill IMO

My SIL worked there; she was laid off about 10 years ago when they sent production to China. Boots are really lousy now.

The only boots I have worn for over 25 years are made by Terra in......are you ready.....CANADA. They are a well made comfortable boot and I generally get 2+ years out of a pair. I think the company is based in Newfoundland.....Lard tunderin jaysus byes!

I bought a pair of Carolina Boots off of "Two Big Feet . com" This spring. They are very well made, however I have worn holes in the soles, and need in-soles...

They are well built/constructed and they look and feel great! I paid $165 for these, however they are nearly custom 16's!! Bryce

Most of the high dollar Red Wings that are assembled in the USA use china made parts mainly the soles.

I have worn pull-on Red Wings for years. The last set lasted 6 years. They very seldom last less than 5. They get drenched in oil many times in their life. I attribute that to their long life. Mike

I had been a pretty loyal wearer of Wolverine Durashock saftey boots. Last time I wanted to try something different. I went to Fort Western Wear in lincoln Nebraska. Unlike other times and other stores I found a shoe/boot salesman (Joe) that realy knew his product. I told him of my boot history and wanting to try something different. Tried on a lot of different boots, all I really wanted was a good quality leather 8" safety lace boot. I wanted light weight, not necessarily insulated or water proof cause they dont "breathe". In the long run Joe got me fixed up with a boot I have been wearing since January and really like. It is a Thoroughgood boot good quality, reasonable price and above all MADE IN THE USA! http://thorogoodworkboots.com/

It seems there are several mail order types that let you believe they are some kind of specialty mom and pop business but are really marketing the same stuff as china mart.

I just bought two new pair of Justin work boots, the American made ones, to replace two worn out pair. I have had very good service out of them. They do market china made boots that are cheaper so there are two tiers of boots being sold. Years ago had a problem with one pair and they replaced them at no charge and no hassle.

I have sore feet when I try to wear cheaper boots. For the past 35 years I have been real happy with Danner boots. I still have one pair of them that I wear a little that are about that old. Kenny Veach at Webster City, IA 5152971902 is one of the highest quality boot repair men in the country and the only one I have used for the last 30 years. (I am not related to or in business with him). He also does most all kinds of leather and saddle repair. Mel

I just bought two pair of Tony Lama western boots a couple of weeks ago. Looks like their quality has gone downhill too. Last pair I bought lasted four years. Don't think these will.

Agreed. I had a pair of redwings that lasted me 20 years (with a few new soles put on) of farm work. cleaned and sealed periodically they never leaked until the lining finally wore out above the toe. bought a similar style last year and after 6 months they leaked and lining wore out and both laces broke. only certain styles of shoe are still made in the US apparenlty so you have to read the fine print.

They could care less what you have to say and won't even figure it out after they go out of business. That's 20th century mentality. Time to get with the 21st century nancy.

Same thing happened to me. Wife and I went to local Indian reservation to get my chew. She saw a pair of sandals she liked. The name on them was Minnetonka. I thought the local Indians made them. I paid $60 for $30 sandals.
When I called the company they admitted they were made in China. Watch out what you buy with and Indian sounding name on the label.

Shoes ! YUCK. I hate buying them. Never seem to find any that are any good.

I bought some more expensive ones including red wings none lasted very long and they are still made in china even with the HIGH price tag. So I go to walmart or kmart and buy CHEAP priced made in china shoes and they last just as long.
So price sure does not equal quality !!!!!

I tried mail ordering some once and that's a disaster because no one can read a tape measure and make any 2 pairs the same. Clothes are worse yet. Got to try on every single item.

Hoffman boots. Can"t be beat and is the only place I buy work boots from. They"re website is www.hoffmanboots.com . I wear lineman boots for my job and these are the absolute toughest, best made boots they are. They have all styles on there website. You can call them to find the exact specs on each boot. The actual Hoffman Dri-line that I wear is American made, dual shanks, waterproof, and lightly insulated. Excellent boot. Of course its also about $300...
Dri line

Chippewa Boot and Shoe closed shop many years ago in Wisconsin. The name is used by other manufactures in other locations. Also, Mason shoes are all made overseas and not here in Chippewa Falls .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back