OT: More Dodge Minivan Questions and I'm a Doofus

Danny in CO

INFO: 99 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3L engine, Front wheel drive.

PROBLEM: Speedometer quit working and transmission won't shift above 2nd gear. Mechanic said is was probably a speed sensor on the transmission.

Question: There are 2 speed sensors on this model: an input sensor and an output sensor. I found the output sensor and replaced. It was on the end of the transmission close to the driver's front wheel. I have looked all over the transmission and cannot find the other speed sensor. Anyone have any idea where I should look?

I'm a Doofus: The power steering pump was making a grinding noise. I figure it is low on fluid. I take the cap of the reservior and put about a quarter of a cup of fluid and its full! Huh I say! Then the STUPID wears off and I realize I just filled the brake fluid reservior! DOOFUS! DOOFOS! I find the REAL power steering reservior and fill it with about a half a quart of power steering fluid. Grinding stops!

Question #2: Do I need to drain the fluid out of the bakes and refill with REAL brake fluid? My thought is that both brake fluid and power steering fluid are hydraulic fluids and I don't think a quarter of a cup of power steering fluid in the brakes will hurt anything. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Danny

PS: I promise I won't do anything else stupid tonight. I'm going to bed!

PROBLEM: Speedometer quit working and transmission won't shift above 2nd gear.

Its in limp in mode, second gear only

Mechanic said is was probably a speed sensor on the transmission

Good recommendation

I have looked all over the transmission and cannot find the other speed sensor. Anyone have any idea where I should look?

the input is rite beside of were the fill tube goes in the trans case, the speed sensor is usually on the back side rite above were the right axle goes into the case BUT I would have thought the sensor you replaced was the one for the speed signal, try the input next

I just put a flywheel in a 2000 and the speed sensor on the rear was gone, not their, gone. So I would replace the input sensor.

I'm a Doofus, aren't we all sometimes

Do I need to drain the fluid out of the bakes and refill with REAL brake fluid?

Damm rite as soon as possible

I don't think a quarter of a cup of power steering fluid in the brakes will hurt anything. Am I wrong?

yer git'n Doofus on use again, Git it out of their old doofus one

now would be a good time to have your transmission codes scanned to see why your in limp mode. Also Id change transmission fluid and filter, look for chunks of metal in old fluid. Be sure to use only ATF+4. do not use dextron it is death to these transmissions

Hobo knows what he's talking about. Forget the transmission for now and take the whole damned master cylinder off NOW and drain, flush, and drain it again. Petroleum based fluids will cause all the seals in the brake system to swell. Bad deal when you step on the brakes and they won't disengage when you let off. I've seen it before and it ain't pretty. Or cheap.

Congradulations we have the same van. Mine has 156K miles. I have replaced the input sensor twice and the output sensor once. I now keep a set of spares.

The input sensor (tach does not work and limps in second gear) is accessable from the front and is by the front wheel well.

The output sensor (speedo does not work and limps in second gear) I believe is accessable from underneath. I can check for you if you want this evening.

Email me if you want a picture.

HTH

Cliff (VA)

While you are replacing the fluid in the master cylinder, I'd flush the whole system at the same time. I bought a tool from Harbor Freight ($20) that allows you to replace the fluid in the MC, and then pull new fluid through the lines. It worked well for me, just be sure to keep the MC full as you pull fluid out. When I did this I noticed a big improvement in my brakes. This will help you get out any contaminated fluid that is in your lines.
TooTall

One note about the input sensor... it is a great place for sand and debris to collect around, clean clean clean clean clean and then clean again around the area before opening it up or you'll have sand and other junk in the tranny and then your looking at more problems.

Last time I had a Dodge do this the overdrive drum had exploded... only cost me $1900 to bring it back to life... (I'm using the term only real loose here)

JLR

I had a freind one time that dumped atf in a clutch master cyl. The liner inside swelled over night blowing off the cap by mourning. And clutch mstr cyl's use brake fluid. Could hurt your caliper, and wheel cyl seals.

Thanks, Hobo! I'll drain the brake fluid tonight and refill and bleed the brakes good.

I think I fixed my transmission problem with the one sensor I replaced. Since I bought both sensors I would like to replace the other also just to be sure.

I have driven the van some since putting the power steering fluid in the brake master cylinder. Once I drain and bleed the brakes, will that be the end of it or will I likely have problems with the seals in the future?

Thanks to everyone for all the help!
Danny

If it were me I would reverse bleed so as to not push the contamination farther down into the system, DOES IT HAVE ABS. With out a doubt do as Joe says and remove the master Cly and clean with brake clean good then dry it out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back