Packer Fork and Plunger timing on oliver 520 baler

Anonymous-0

I have an Oliver 520 baler that I purchased last winter that I'm getting ready for this hay season. (I'm retiring my NH68 to standby status and sold my NH S67 backup-parts one)

I've gone through it and replaced all the springs with the correct parts, installed a correct pto clutch for a baler (removed that TSC store one that looked to be for a bush hog), replaced all the broken pick-up fingers, and did lube job after pressure washing it. I had one problem where the right side twine finger (arm?) would hang up on the frame and the packer fork would strike it and bend it. I ended up trimming away part of the frame to provide clearance.

I've been going through the manual and checking all the adjustments. I have done needle to plunger, needle to knotters, and checked twine fingers (I know the twine fingers are out they aren't at the edge of the frame after knot cycle is complete but I was afraid I'll twist off the ends due to rust... so until I can check parts availabilty I'm leaving them alone)

I still need to check packer to plunger timing. The manual tells me to turn the flywheel until the plunger is all the way forward then go in the opposite direction stopping when the plunger edge is over a machine screw in the frame. Then check that packer fork is between two holes in the most vertical position. Problem is I don't have a machine screw in my frame, nor anything else that I see that even resembles a mark to go by. What am I missing?

I have run the baler behind my 1800, and other than knot issues (hanging up on the bill hooks - might be do to rust, baler has two new knife arms and they rub the bill hook tightly)
I got two good bales out of 7 tries... I'll have to read through my knotter guide and check that out. Maybe after a few more...

Ah the fun of spring prep.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back