Paint sprayers

Bill in IL

I have had both suction type and gravity feed spray guns pretty much just cheap ones from HF or similar. Seems like they work great when they are new but after a few projects they don't spray as well. I have a problem with them putting out enough paint. I use reducer and it helps but I always have the gun adjusted to max and still don't get enough paint out. It took 2 hours to get a half gallon sprayed yesterday. I have disasembled and cleaned them but they still don't work right.

Going today to buy another unless someone has a suggestion as to why. Its not like they wear out from a couple gallons of paint.

I don't like gravity feeds.. so cn't comment there.

as for syphon guns.. the 2 reasons why they won't put out paint after use is :

1, dirty... It is really hard to get these guns as clean as they need to be.. takes almost as long to clean my guns as it does to shhot a couple quarts of paint thru them.

2, leaks.. hard for a syphon gun to work when it has a leak in the wrong place.. OR the vent on the can is clogged making a vacume..

soundguy

Soundguy has it right clean and clean again, there are very small passages that need to be CLEAN. Have always used cheapy guns, many are copies of expensive (Binks, DeVilbis,etc.) just made with cheaper materials; i.e. brass instead of steel nozzles, so they wear faster and usually give more paint not less. If clean then check for ANY air leaks around trigger, filter, regulator( sure it's good ?) with low pressure a siphon feed won't function properly.

I had the same experience with a Central brand gun where it would blow air but picked up very little paint from the cup. The pointed steel seat for the needle trigger threads into the front of the body of the gun behind the cone air deflector. This steel seat must be sealed to the body of the gun in two places. It frequently leaks air at the outer seal. It is a metal to metal seal and must be thightened real tight to the body of the gun. I mean real tight!

I've had multiple problems with any of them, including spitting. I usually crank up the air pressure when i'm not getting enough output.

For what it's worth, a professional painter friend of mine cleaned and cleaned with lacquer thinner, then left the parts loose in the paint gun with some thinner soaking them.

KEH

I did the same thing with my spray gun. I didn't fill the can to the top so I could grasp the wire connected to the soaking parks. Cleaning the gun calls for more than running a little thinner through the spray gun. It needs to be completely disassembled. Hal

Yes, clean, clean,clean! The phrase "cleanliness is next to godliness" even works for paint guns. I won't lend my HVLP gun to anyone anymore because the borrower seems to think cleaning is a cosmetic thing only. When it comes back I invariably have to take it apart and soak it in lacquor thinner. They always tell me how nice my gun works, but they don't understand why. Jim

I realize this is most likely a cleanliness problem stressed by all of you. I noticed tonight with a new gun that after 3 hours of painting it was not working as well too. Cleaned the gun with lacquer thinner tonight will have to see tomorrow what happens.

I still don't see where the dirt is in the old one. Do all you normally disassemble the gun then soak the whole gun in thinner? Do you have to use pipe cleaners in the airways? Or just clean the passages that get touched by paint?

Wondering too if its like VernMI said I need to tighten the crap out of it on assembly.

Soundguy, what are the drawbacks with gravity fed guns that you don't use them.

I don't mind cleaning my tools just hate having stuff that don't work right.

Again, I'm no expert, but I think part of the problem is the paint setting up. Paints either have hardners or hardners can be added so that might be a problem.

KEH

I use small brushes to clean the pickup tube on the paint cup with lacquer thinner and a bigger brush to clean the cup. I completely disassemble the spray gun and clean each part thoroughly then I kept them soaked in clean lacquer thinner. The old Devilbiss spray gun that I have was used when I bought it. I rebuilt
it several times over the years. Parts are still available. I've had it at least 30 years. Once you get in the habit of cleaning and disassembling the gun you can probably reassemble it with your eyes shut. I just snug the parts that are threaded. I loaned it one time and that was the last time. Just sprayed some thinner through it and thought it was clean. I was able to clean it since the paint wasn't hardened & by soaking it in lacquer thinner. I only use this for primer and for Primeez surface primer. I use
the HVLP gun for finish coats. Hal
PS: This is used for touchups & is very light to handle since the cup is very small.

One thing I didn't see hit on here is the need to keep the air hole clean on the top of the paint cup. I have had guns stop putting out paint well and found paint had bridged over the air hole and dried. As you use paint from the cup air has to come in to replace it.

The vacum that draws the paint all takes place at the very tip or opening. If paints builds up on the outside of that orfice no vacum will be produced to draw the paint out.
Unscrew the head that fits over the tip and clean the outside of that tip and the inside of the head. The plunger inside the tip usually doesn't get clogged up on my gun, it's just around the outside of the tip and inside the head. I've had it happen a many a time.
I run 60-80psi. I've never painted for 2-3 hours. Always got done before that time had occured.

Make sure you use one of those paper paint strainers when pouring any paint into the cup. Hal

If the paint gun has any leather packings, make sure they do not dry out. Packings must be kept oiled or replaced often if you do not want to put oil in the gun. If the packings dry out, it will not spray effectively.

I might be misreading this, but you say you use reducer and it helps ! Are you reducing the paint in the proper proportions ? Are you using the temperature correct reducer ?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back