Leroy

These are my only vehicals a 2001 and a 2003 Dakota trucks so get used for everything. The 2001 3.9 6 cylinder has gotten to where the engine just seams to skip a beat and goers again. Thought might be injectors so ran cleaner in 2 tanks of gas. Seemed to help a bit after first tank but then stared doin it again. Finally stoped at O-Rileys and they put the reader on and said PCM. Whell I don't know what a PCM is. Talked to local garage and he said it is engine control and only dealer can work on them and very expencive. So can somebody explane to me what it is and why only dealer can work on it and why it wouls be so expencive . And he only said very expencive. I am on very limited SS and barly making it to live so cost has me worried. Body is halfway decent on the 2001 and falling apart on the 2003 and cannot afford a replacement. The 2003 is the 4.7 V8 and I use it to pull trailer. Over 300,000 miles.

PCM usually means 'Power Control Module', or 'Powertrain Control Module'.

That's the main computer that controls all engine functions. I'm not familiar with your particular vehicles so that's about all I can tell you.

Is the check engine light on?

You can buy a reader very reasonable, read the codes and research online what they mean.

The auto supply techs read them and try to sell you parts. What ever the code reads does not necessarily mean that part will fix it.

With the code or codes, go to forums, Youtube, see what others have done to solve the problem before assuming the worst.

Power Control Module, in a Chrysler product there are typically 3 computers that control the vehicle. It is highly unlikely that the PCM needs replaced they rarely go bad, there are about 100 sensors that give it information, one of those sensors has probably gone bad a cheaper reader is not going to get you to that sensor that is bad just that the PCM is throwing a code. A dealer is going to have the software to read what is actually wrong. An independent shop might have the software to do it. AZ, Oreilly's, NAPA or some other reseller probably does not have that software. Good luck

A quick Google search says there are pcm's for sale for $150-250. Looks like 4 bolts and a wiring plug to install them.

Some independent shops own the programming software to mate your new PCM to your vehicle, but certainly not all of them. YouTube channel WatchWesWork has several videos where he has to program a new component and it requires spending some money for the software tools. This one is a decent example of replacing an important computer module:
https://youtu.be/b_3lZ6QYWIk

This might be what you need. No idea if it will fix your problem. Lifetime warranty , free shipping. 99,9 % satisfaction rating.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352337006957?hash=item5208ec116d:g:1i8AAOSwx3Va3e96&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoMpFWJ7I6iV%2BkVOiyTlHOy%2BZzUkamLhcu1%2F2RujIbfpfvhhObzNRCiDRWE5BJsgpWF6wS2R3T%2BDjPpg7JYD8ljrHjtkNxJOw8IRGGdx5m8QTIP9h2Lwtd8o2qjPG%2Fc6FGAMLkE%2FcrKoOkOaMTpTO6n0W7HLU4%2BVs5TyVUmcIKyqBaxlUpIMw7eU7%2FImY%2FMlo%2Fsxf7TyvvXrcbemKIVNF4%2FY%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_S27fz4YA

I think this is the same seller only direct to seller.

https://www.fs1inc.com/oem-engine-computer-programmed-plug-play-2001-dodge-dakota-r6040233ah-3-9l-at.html

Before even THINKING about throwing parts at it get the exact trouble code(s) and GOOGLE it along with the make and model of the vehicle and see how others have solved the issue.

I wonder if they used a higher-end scan tool capable of reading the vehicle-specific codes, or simple tool that reads generic codes?

Sounds like P0601 PCM death code. I will not touch the PCM send them to the dealer. I have been bit hard messing with Chrysler PCM builders. Its not unusual to get someone else's problem one you did not have and waist your time chasing it. If you have a warranty issue it take weeks to resolve it I am stuck with shipping cost and an augury customer.

That being said I never seen a 601 cause a drivability issue I spec you have more issues. Nothing would surprise me.

Flagship 1 or Flashmasters for PCMs, but I would have it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing before trusting a parts store code scan. They do those scans to sell parts, not diagnose. I make lots of money fixing cars after people have spent hundreds on the Autozone buy this list.

Look for an older truck. Us old guys don't need the hassle of this new fangled junk. A 96 Dodge I was driving had the in tank fuel pump fail too many times. I am now driving a 86 Dodge, at least I can fix it. You need to go back to the 70's to get something without a computer but if you find one that still runs buy it.

Huh?? Rarely go bad? NOT SO!
I have replaced at least half a dozen that were bad. One had a continual misfire on #2 cylinder. Diagnostics revealed that the driver was bad for #2 injector. Simply no output. Another one had 3 cylinders out on the left bank of a 3.7 V-6. Again, diagnostics verified that the coils on that bank were not being fired.

That seems to be fairly common with Chrysler PCMs. I noticed that in the junkyard, most of the PCMs are already gone.

One other thing. There are nowhere near 100 sensors. More like about 15 to 20. I can recite them if you like.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back