Perkins diesel

Anonymous-0

Have a 3 cylinder perkins diesel engine in my tractor which refuses to start. Does anyone know if there is a way to check the injector timing, or change the injector timing, without opening up the engine?

Are you sure it isn't air locked? If it ran before the timing shouldn't have changed. Just a thought. Dave

Have you tried using starting fluid in the intake sparingly. if it fires your fuel lines may need to be bled to remove the air you get when it has been run completely out of fuel.Good luck.

The best I can tell is only if someone put a TDC mark on your crank pulley then go 24 deg. back from there,{I think the timing mark for crank pulley is about 2:45 }, then take your inspection plate off your injector pump and see if there is an E lined up with the square end of the snapring.
I don't know how you will know if your on the number one cylinder , but if you see the E where it's suppose to be and the mark on your pulley 24 deg. BTDC ,I would figure that it is in time. If this is not right someone please set me and him straight. Thanks

If it was running and refuses to start now, what happened prior? Run out of fuel? Has it been sitting for a long period of time, maybe has stuck rings (low compression)?

I agree typically it shouldn"t have jumped time, something would have had to break and you would"ve known that the last time you used it, short of finding the lock bolt for the injector pump loose.

Try the ether trick... if you choose to try that DO NOT USE THE GLOWPLUGS!

Thats another thing, is it cold enough where your at where you would need them? Do you get "fuel" smoke during cranking?

Good luck.

It seems that one cylinder fires during cranking but not others. Have had injectors and glow plugs checked. Was running before stopping about 30 days ago. Have removed injectors while cranking and they appear fine so know injector pump is working. Am attempting to find adapter to screw into injector hole to check compression but have not been able to find one yet. Nearest dealer is 100 miles away and hat at this time to haul it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back