Picker tractor

I got this super m what looks to be a high drum picker tractor. It has no pro so how did it run a picker. What did it use to hook up to a picker. Thanks for any info.
cvphoto165728.jpg

It had a drive unit that bolted on where the belt pulley would have been. Its not a high crop unless that serial number plate ends in an HC. I'll bet it has a cotton picker designation letter at the end of it. Cotton drop boxes were chain driven where HC where gear driven.

Very nice find , thanks for posting ,
As other s said post Serial number on bell housing plate photo . Many of us never seen one .

think that is a super MV . it will tell u on the serial number tag. what is the plans for it?

No certain plans just hated to see it go to scrap. Gonna try to see if it will run the exhaust was cover so maybe its not stuck to bad

it is kinda odd it dont have the V after SM. it does look pretty original. where u located.

I was thinking a high crop picker tractor was a little different than mv. The picker had bull gears to reverse the direction and the mv had chain so it didnt change direction of travel I think. Im in north Louisiana

The "F" suffix after the serial number indicates it was built with the cotton picker mounting attachment (high drum). Items that can be seen in the picture that were specific to that attachment and wouldn't be on a high clearance tractor are the single wheel front end and the clutch pedal. I can't see the drop housing area well enough to identify the type. A high clearance used a chain drive while the cotton harvester used gears.

You guys are correct in my link in the Chassis section,
subsection 316 is the chain drive for the SMV ..high
clear.. and 319 is the gears. It never says ..high drum
picker.. just calls it ..Special..

The caster angle of the front wheel indicates reversed operation too.

Bet once you get it running it will have 5 reverse gears and 1 forward. That's the geared drop boxes at work.

If it has the gear drops, they can be removed and wheels will go on axles to turn into regular tractor by installing a regular front and a few other things. Some leave them high with geared drops and turn into forward operation by flipping the differential with ring gear and using a reverse operation transmission cover and shift forks.

Serial number plate tells you nothing about a cotton picker in this case. Pickers that were factory mounted would have CH on the end of the serial number. IH produced Kits for farmer or dealer mounting to an existing farmer owned tractor. I believe this is the case for this tractor. The power for the row unit and fan came from a gear/chain tower mounted where the belt pulley would normally be located.

You are confusing earlier M codes with later Super M codes. The "F", clearly seen on the plate, indicates cotton picker mounting attachment.

After going through a 1952 catalog, your tractor would have had an angled power drive attached where the flat belt drive goes. That sticks out at an angle, gets attached to the slip clutch & then the drive shaft goes across the platform, under the seat & out to the gear box on top of the drum unit. The PTO was most likely eliminated due to the lack of necessity & close tolerances between the drum unit & tractor. Probably wasn't room for the drive unit there either, so it went under the gas tank.

cvphoto165825.jpg

cvphoto165826.jpg

cvphoto165827.jpg

cvphoto165828.jpg

Mike

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back