Plowing with a DI and #55 plow, pics, video

Ahh, finally plowed with the DI, last Saturday (March 28 )!

OK, I might as well give the whole story, just because it's entertaining, 'cause everything is always an adventure.

I didn't expect to do that this soon, to say the least! I showed up at the farm on Saturday, with the intention of some minor tinkering. I really wanted to remove the first reduction gear cover, just to replace the gasket. AND I was considering the job of re torquing the head. I know it needs it, but that involves removing the radiator, which makes a simple job just a LOT harder.

Somehow the discussion got on the subject of plowing...the tractor was basically ready to ride (even though I wanted to do things :lol: ) but the plow wasn't.

Ended up driving the DI over to our place, and then trying to get the 3 bottom #55 back into shape. The furrow wheel had rotted around the valve stem, and I had just recently welded (bubble gum welding) a patch in place, drilled a new valve stem hole, and painted the inside...but the tire was mounted yet. They all fought and finally mounted the tire with a new tube. While they did that, I was stealing the tailwheel off of my four bottom (#66).

Then we tried to drag it to the shed with gramps fourwheeler (ATV), but the furrow wheel wouldn't raise, as the ratchet for that lever was broke. So it got drug up to the shed ANYWAY, just dragging one bottom along the way. My gramps was grinning like a madman as he made a complete mess of the yard and driveway, flinging stones with the fourwheeler floored. Hee hee It wasn't his yard...he didn't care.

Now at the shed, the plow was jacked up, and I removed the rotted tailwheel and swapped with the good one. The whole time, the plow was being held up by a barnjack that threatened to fall over and kill us all. Then the ratchet was moved back into place and stick welded. All the time, the plow leaning over more and more. hee hee

Anyway, the plow was finally ready, even the trip worked....so hitched up and headed to the field.

Grandpa sat on the fender, holding onto the trip rope...we quickly found that it was too skinny/springy, and it wouldn't trip the plow properly. He ended up kicking the lever to trip it "down" everytime...Despite that my dad was standing on the opposite side of the field as a guide...I plowed about as straight as a drunk walking home from the bar.

Found that the plow needs adjustment....had to have the tractor's drawbar all the way to the left to plow properly. The tractor barked a bit more when the plow was cutting a full furrow. Besides that, the levers DEFINITELY need adjusted, as I had to lean forward to keep from getting brained by the lever. Small adjustments, maybe bend the trip lever a little, and a good trip rope, it seems to be ready to go!

Was in first gear, which is still VERY fast compared to a normal D, 3.6 MPH. Tractor didn't even get hot, I think it was 190, but can't remember now. No shutters, but this is on gas, so it's good. Oil pressure was steady and high, probably 14 or so plowing, and down to 6 at idle. There are no weights on the tractor, and it pulled just fine. Started slipping in one spot, but kept trucking. If I start plowing seriously, I'll have to "throw" a pair on. I've got two pair sitting, just in case. :lol:

Stalled once....but that's an odd issue...I'm thinking gas or mag, probably gas flow. Started right up again, even though it was hot, but had to choke it. Most likely gas flow.

For the last furrow of the day, gramps suggested second gear...had to slip the clutch to get her started, but that was it...pulled just fine, and barked REALLY loud. I know it was a bit overload...but WOW that was cool!

Oh, and those turning brakes do come in handy. :) Was in the furrow, but the plow wouldn't trip...in order to turn around and start over, had to step on the left brake and she walked right out.

Plowed for about a half hour or so, I think. The sun was going down, and rain was forecast (which was right) I don't know when we'll hit the field next, but I hope soon!

100_7596.jpg

100_7605.jpg

Yes, this video is showing FIRST gear.

The dang straight pipe gave me a headache. :p

Just this Sunday, I finally got the plow drawbar and levers adjusted. Will need to recheck in the field, when it stops raining sometime, but it should be good now!

Brandon

P.S. The Front wheel drive works great! :lol: :lol: B)

P.S. Anyone know a source for another tailwheel? Deere still has the part number RW40A, or DA1925A subbed to AA43502 for $64. If this includes the tire, I'd buy it, but I doubt it!

I'm in northern Ohio. This was when it tried to dry out for a few days...now that the rain and snow are back, and the muck is here, who knows how long til next time!

Brandon

Brandon,

Send me an email. I might be able to direct you to someone that has a rear tail wheel, RW-40A. The new one from Deere does not look the same as the original.

Dennis

Hello Weird Deere. M.E. Miller Tire in Wauseon Ohio has plow tires. Bought some myself. Their number is 800-621-1955. www.millertire.com

Brandon, thanks for your reply about the rear axle seal and retainer I had earlier.. I'm still looking for a set for ser 183662. I'm looking forward to seeing your D after you get her painted up. Brian

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back