Polk's Auction

I am writing this from my prospective and my opinion only.You reader"s take it as you will.I have been in the John Deere Hobby since 1989.I
have been to MANY of Polk"s Auctions over the years. We have all seen the auction go from Dennis to McGrew to Jeff now. Jeff promised a better auction. Alot of good changes have come about.However,there is one thing that hasn"t changed. Allowing POTENTIAL bidder"s/buyer"s to stand in the ring right next to the tractor as it is selling, blocking those of us that also might bid from being noticed unless we scream or raise our hand high enough for someone to take our bid. It was 100 degrees in the building today trying to watch the auction that we drove 600 miles one way to see.I asked Jeff numerous times, plus those POTENTIAL bidder"s, to move away from the tractor and from out in front of me. There is plenty of bleacher seating. I was sitting in a yard chair right next to the ring,near the auctioneer,not in the way. However,I got told by Jeff, "I can"t throw these people out because they may buy 50-100 tractors and he wants a large crowd". I don"t appreciate someone standing in front of me and all I see is a butt! It is rude and inconsiderate.THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANYONE THAT CLOSE TO A TRACTOR while it is running in a crowd of people! It is dangerous. A bidder should not be close enough to touch the tractor.All those Other "lookers" standing by the doorway ends as the tractors approach are also too close. They were also preventing any breeze there was from coming through the building at all. I also asked Jeff about setting up a fan--no, they were doing the best they could. No, they weren"t! I had to leave because I couldn"t breathe and couldn"t see what was selling. Don"t you think this is wrong?? I feel Jeff Polk is still catering to those who buy larger amounts of items/spend more money than those of us that don"t. I spent $4,800.00 in the last two days and was a consigner. He didn"t want to discuss this issue any further with me, and I told him I guess he didn"t need my business now or in the future. "He was sorry I felt that way".I told him as soon as my tractor sold tomorrow,I will be leaving and not coming back or going to any more of his sales.I have seen other posts like this in the past,but nothing ever changes. I brought items in, so he will get that commission, but that isn"t enough for him. All buyer"s and seller"s should be treated all with the same respect regardless of the amount of money that he/she spend"s at one of their sales.Besides, you never know who might have a million. You can"t judge a book by its"cover.We all choose what we do with our money in our live"s. I also was treated rudely when trying to stay in line to get tagged and unloaded after a 10 hr drive with a van and trailer on Wednesday!My items were late coming in because we got there Wednesday and not a month ago?We are from NY not just around the corner.Another consigner was allowed ahead of us and then his tractor didn"t even run and had to be taken off with a loader!!I have found over the year"s there are always going to be those, because they have money, will rule this world.It is sad.I have sold alot of my Deere"s to pay for two antique cars I have purchased. It is getting difficult for me to get onto the tractors and enjoy them.I have been welcomed with open arms into our local Buick club and have had alot of fun since last November with this group of people. There is no fighting, bickering. They have their cars, and don"t care who the have are"s and who are the have not"s.Refreshing to see this,especially after this weekend!I wish future buyer"s/seller"s lots of luck.There are other issues, but won"t go into that. If someone else who has had these same issues, feel free to e-mail.Needless to say, I will not ever come back to their auctions or recommend them to anyone selling their collection out. We are a large collection ourselve"s, and will not be hiring them to do our sell-out someday. Thanks for listening. It has helped. Jennifer from Penn Yan, NY!

wow- what a letter. i have never gotten along with the young polks. i guess we all have are "buddies"? mcgrews are great...they post alot on ebay too. HOW IS STUFF SELLING?
weak or strong?

Sounds like a "normal" auction to me ? People falling all over each other to pay WAY too much !
I have never gone to these type of auctions as I knew my pockets weren't deep enough.

I always felt that Polk thought he was better than everyone else. (by the way Jen I have bid against you in a couple of auctions,i think you always won!) Bill

Jen
I think you must me a slow learner.Went to one of there auctions about 20 years ago. Sounds like nothing has changed.Do not buy any parts from them either. Never needed them that bad.

If you go up in the bleachers far enough, you can see right over all of those people. You can also be seen by the auctioneer. I've bought and sold there for a few years. If I'm serious about an item, I'll make sure I'm up close to the action. I've got no complaints with them. Sorry for your bad experience.

I have known dennis for 30 years and he has sold a few of my tractors . never thought him to think he is better than anyone. He does make clear the rules or order of the sale. Only folks I think he does not like are anybody who bounces a check on him, I have meet Jeff at sale in colorado and thought him to be ok.

I'm going to side with Polks on this one. I've been to many auctions other than polks where people want to stand right up next to the tractors that were selling. Some people just want to do that to get a better look at things, and if the auction company allows it, then thats just the way it is. Life's tough, get over it. You could still get in a position to be seen and heard bidding, but would rather complain to management. Quit whining, and make the best of it. It's a big auction. Some things at auctions never go according to our wishes.

One would think that when enough people figured out the real facts about auctions, they would stop going which would eventually put them in a pile with stagecoaches.
However, there are still enough people on both sides to keep these things going.
Greed on all sides is what drives them. The sellers want more than their crap is worth,the buyers are hoping to catch a deal for way under market price, and the auctioneers will say most anything to generate a sale.
Many of them have stealth bidders to run up the prices. In most cases, the auctioneer gets a percentage of the total, so is it not in their best interest to run the prices as high as possible?
Stop going, buy the tractors that you want from individuals, save money, and put these modern day medicine men out to find a real job.
If their parts prices do not tell you what they are all about, your head in still buried deep in the sand.

What you describe are typical going ons at a high end auction. I think your problem is with the tractor club you are in. I think I know the one you are in and they have a reputation of being less than friendly. Start your own club. Be inclusive to people of other tractor colors and those that may not have perfect restorations. That will help weed out the jerks quite a bit. I know that is quite a change from being in an all-Deere club but it might bring in people that are more mellow about the hobby.

I have been to every kind of auction there is and its the same every where. The auctioneers know who is there. They know thier buddies and know who the Big Wigs are that has tons of money.They know what they want. I have seen it too many times.If you had a orange flag waveing it they still wouldnt take your bids.If there was something they didnt want you might have a chance buying it.There not all bad I have been to alot of clean auctions.And then you run in to some like you just went to also.

Have bought and sold a lot of IH items at Polks sales over the past 20 years and consider both Dennis and Jeff to be good people. Always enjoy the sales and plan to be at many more in the years to come. If I ever do have a problem though, no matter how large or small, I sure as hell would NOT bring it to light on a public forum. But rather, handle it personally between Jeff and myself and that would be the end of it. It is not fair to Jeff to get flamed on here by people who have no clue about the situation, and then throw their two cents in. It can get crowded at any sale and can be tough to see or bid but you yourself have to do something about it(like move or stand or holler your bid out). Publicly blaming the auctioneer for your laziness or stupidity is bush league. Paul VW in MI.

It's a public auction, the purist form of the free market that help build this country. That's quite a disertation about "seating issues". As for the people upset with phantom bidders or stuff that sells way too high, who's pointing the gun at at anyone to raise their bid?

I am not saying they aren't good auctioneer's or aren't good people. I was stating MY OPINION and DID BRING IT UP WITH JEFF twice and who was standing in front of me. This has always been a problem thought it would go away when Jeff became in charge. He slammed me back in front of everyone yesterday over the loud speaker before starting the tractor auction. Even after I had bought two more items from the auction. What professionalism is that??? He could have come to me again and spoke to me privately, but decided to announce it to everyone in the crowd. It is done and I stand behind everything I have stated. There were other complaints through the crowd but know one else brought forth their complaints to Jeff.

On average, things went below what they normally would have brought a few years ago. Unless, it is something very unique/special with oddity.
Tractors/toys/signs/literature for the most part, sold low. I had consignments there also-sold low. Some parts were really way to high! THANKS AGAIN GUYS/GALS for all your input.
Appreciate it.

I have been going to Polk auctions for 12 years and never seen them pull any shady tricks. They are honest and tell bidders the rules up front and remind you during sale. As for Fridays sale it was hot and there were fans in building. Jeff had at least 8 callers looking for bids. When you get in on bid they stay on you,drop out, they look elsewhere. Some people were just hot and cranky.

Dean,

Who is holding a gun to anyone forcing them to bid? NO ONE!!!! That is not the issue.
The issue is honesty and credibilty, true credibilty.
Since when does anyone have the right to lie and distort prices and someone like you attempt to justify those actions?
Auctions are a very emotional experience. Part of why it works is that people get emotionally connected to the crowd, the noise, the competition. So, if there are ghost bidders, they are "fixing" the price to a fictious high. You cannot blame an honest bidder for bidding high when ghost bidders are in the mix.
Point your gun at the real problem, not the poor bidder that gets caught up in the emotions and the action.

I have been to sales throughout the country and have yet to come across a sale as large or diverse as the Polk's Labor Day sale (perhaps this is why it was the 28th annual). I have known the Polk family for years and have attended several of their auctions and I can honestly say they spend more money than most to create a comfortable auction. I agree that it was very hot inside the building, but I appreciate the fact there was a building with bleachers versus the usual "herd" of people walking along an auction box for 10+ hours outside. As for the "potential" bidders walking around the tractors, I'm sure they just wanted a closer look before spending their money. Had the entire auction been outside, like many auctions are, it would have been even more difficult to see the item or be seen by the auction staff. I have been to many sales that have dirty bathrooms and food vendors that run out of items midway through the day, this wasn't the case the past 3 days. Clearly, some effort was put into creating a pleasant environment for all attendees. Jen, I find it hypocritical that you mention how unprofessional it was for Jeff to point out your post to the entire crowd on Saturday, but you don't seem to have a problem with bashing his sale over the internet for the entire world to view. It's unfortunate you didn't have a good experience over the weekend like myself and many others did, but I find it in poor taste to vent your frustrations to the world rather than the alternative methods available.
Jeff, Dennis, and the entire auction staff, thank you for continuing to provide a top-notch sale that I can look forward to attending year after year.

I'm not sure what is meant by "lie and distort prices". I'm not a fan of anyone selling someone else's used hardware. The Polk outfit is auctioning off someone's hardware and is paid to get the highest price. Understand their role and who's paying them and you can approach the auction in the right frame of mind. What's the lie that's being told? These are 20-70 year old tractors with perhaps dozen's of owners over the years. EVERYTHING the auctioneer says is highly suspect. The only issue I've wondered about is when a tractor is supposed to being in running order and the unit is towed into the ring. Even then I've heard Jeff announce that these are being sold as running units and they'll make them run before they take the money, outside the ring. In terms of distorting prices, make them eat the faked high bid. By the weay that happens from time to time if you know what your looking for...LOL If someone get's caught up in the emotion of the moment, I've done it, it's there own fault. Determine the number your willing to spend and go no higher.

What am I missing?

I was there for Friday and Saturday. It's true it was very HOT and it seemed, that with all the money they were making inside that they could have had a little more respect to the bidders on venting the place a little better, for both the heat and the exhaust. The food department was run real smooth. It is a very dangerous place with all the tractors going through, but what can you do with the people comming from their seats to see up close the machines they are paying BIG BUCKS for.
As for her, well, its no place to bring a dog all day to.
The biggest problem I saw Friday(not all day, but some of,) and Saturday was the security of goods leaving the gate area. BAD! Someone could just ROB/STEAL a tractor, an hit-or- miss engine or parts without paying for it. I brought it up to Jeff's wife and NOTHING was done! Sorry if someone got ripped off.

I've been to many of these auctions, bought and sold lots of tractors and parts, and there is one things that is always the same at all of these auctions. The complainer's and they always seem to be the people who bring a folding chair and set it up at the back of the arena where the tractor or item is being sold. Then the get mad when someone who is considering buying an item and go in front of them to get a closer look. There are seats in the arena i know usually they arnt as comfortable but you're not in the way of those who want to stand and get a closer look. I know if i'm gonnna spend 10 grand on a tractor i'm not gonna be in the back of the crowd. I"m going to be right up front. Having the yell and hollar to get your bid in is part of the rush and thrill of an auction.

So let me get this straight, you set up your lawn chairs in an area that Polks did not have seating set up in and are mad that you could not see the auction. Every thing you have said here is a contridiction, you were sitting where you belonged yet there were no chairs there when you arrived you took it upon yourself to set up there. You are mad that Jeff called out your crap in front of everyone yet you were the first to go on an open public forum and launch a direct attack against him using his name, at least he had the decentcy to not publicly state your name.

Chairs were set up there on Saturday. They just hadn't moved Polk's chairs over there yet from the toy auction the day/night before. There were 35 people or more sitting in the area where we were.

Dean,

Listen to what they tell you about the equipment, if they had credibilty they would never state anything that they did not know to be a fact. If they get caught, they blame it on someone else that "told" them. It is one of the oldest ways of lying in the trade.
Getting the most money is the ONLY thing that has any weight to them, they could care less if they sell you a pile of junk that they were "told" was a good running piece of equipment.
Yes, they are (or should be) very responsible for any and everything they say. If they do not knwo for sure,they should say just that.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back