Power outage map tech

JDEM

Woke up this morning with no electricity. Not too unusual where we are in northern Michigan. We live in three different places and switch back and forth. One place is off-grid solar but the other two rely on grid-power. Here where the power is out this morning, we have one neighbor in sight and his power is working. I have not been able to figure out how, during these outages, the neighbor's never seem to lose power but we do.

To my surprise, our little electric co-op has an on-line power outage map that is updated every 5 minutes. Kind of neat if a person can use it when their power is out.

Everytime this happens, I get thinking - suppose it is just us? But so far, it has always been a distant problem that the power company has to come and fix, and just about always on a holiday or Sunday where workers have to be called in.

Power company crew just showed up. Pretty fast response time for a rural area on a Sunday morning (less then 1 hour). I quizzed them and found out our pole is a separator spot between two high-lines. I never knew. So we are the last on on line, and our neighbor is the last on another.

So power is still out and the power guys are searching for problems down the road somewhere.

Funny thing is -we have two brand new propane and gasoline powered backup systems with transfer switches and neither is hooked up yet. Both are 8500 watt but right now, we are running on a 4400 watt portable generator and backfeeding into a 50 amp welder outlet (yeah, I know, a "high" crime). Main breaker is off and I also turned off the electric hot-water and freezer. So just outlets, lights, deep-well pump, computer, phone, Internet server and one refrigerator and all works fine on the one generator except the microwave is a little slow at making breakfast.

Generator that is running our house right now started out as a Homelight 4000 watt(4400 watt surge) unit with an 8 HP Briggs gas engine. I got it new from Central Tractor in 1980 for $399. Last year, I ditched that Briggs (never ran right), and stuck on a new Subaru HD telecom engine that has electric start and runs on propane. 7 HP maybe? I know power is derated when using propane instead of gasoline. So this is the first time I tried to use it. I am impressed. Ran our 3/4 horse, 220 volt well pump and all else just fine.

Guess I have to get my big genset and transfer-switch hooked up. I keep putting if off thinking we won't have any power outages in such nice weather?

Note the big truck muffler I stuck on the Subaru engine. Works great and clamps right over the OEM muffler.
a165359.jpg

a165360.jpg

a165361.jpg

a165362.jpg

Might as well figure as soon as the big generator/transfer switch is hooked up, the power will never go out again. We had 4-5 outages in the first 2 years we lived here,lasting from a couple of hours to 8 days. Bought a 33kw gen set, had it installed with a new transfer switch. The only time the generator has run in the last 6 years is it's once a month startup for 30 minutes...go figure

When we moved here, power company put our meter out on a pole in the yard, but used a dual-purpose box. It not only holds the meter, but when the main switch on this box is shut off, it engages a transfer location that we can connect a generator to. No need for a transfer switch, and no chance of having a charge on the lines while workers are busy working.

One time had lots of trees go down. Lines were down all over the place! Power was off for 3 1/2 days. Finally I called a neighbor and asked how he was doing there. He said he was doing OK, but strange thing was he could see power on just down the road.

I called power company and asked how much longer power would be out. They said it's NOT out - that the power had been turned on 2 days before. I informed them in no uncertain terms that we were still without power, and could they please find out what the heck was going on!

Come to find out, there was a switch down the road from the neighbor that had gone bad. ...Rather than picturing a switch in your mind, like a light switch, think instead of a length of wire that is supposed to burn out to protect the rest of the line. Well, that's what happened, but nobody was expecting that, so didn't check. So here were 3 or 4 houses that had been without power for 2 days longer than should have been.

I bought one of them fancy, Made in China generators (el cheapo) a couple years back - 4,000w running, 4,400w peak - and have it ready with oil but have never started it yet. Is mounted on an old push mower frame for easy wheeling around. ....Gee, I hope it runs. Don't think I could send it back under warranty now! :shock: :lol:

Here over in Emmet I can always figure on three or four outages a year bad weather or no. Yesterday it blinked off and returned (sorta') at about 80 volts....I went to work and when I had returned it was back to "normal"? It went out again overnight but was back before morning. I would definitely hook up your setup was I you. I also have a portable generator, but I usually use a big inverter instead if I want power. Mostly the outages are less then eight hours...

Your picture shows a fuse in the 1000+ volt lines (top left insulator like mechanism on the top of the pole. It is "open" the fuse/circuit breaker is hanging down towards the camera. My bet is that is the issue. Some linemen listen to what some person reading a map says, and do not look at the mechanism in front of them. Jim

(quoted from post at 10:26:15 07/09/17) Woke up this morning with no electricity. Not too unusual where we are in northern Michigan. We live in three different places and switch back and forth. One place is off-grid solar but the other two rely on grid-power. Here where the power is out this morning, we have one neighbor in sight and his power is working. I have not been able to figure out how, during these outages, the neighbor's never seem to lose power but we do.

To my surprise, our little electric co-op has an on-line power outage map that is updated every 5 minutes. Kind of neat if a person can use it when their power is out.

Everytime this happens, I get thinking - suppose it is just us? But so far, it has always been a distant problem that the power company has to come and fix, and just about always on a holiday or Sunday where workers have to be called in.

Power company crew just showed up. Pretty fast response time for a rural area on a Sunday morning (less then 1 hour). I quizzed them and found out our pole is a separator spot between two high-lines. I never knew. So we are the last on on line, and our neighbor is the last on another.

So power is still out and the power guys are searching for problems down the road somewhere.

Funny thing is -we have two brand new propane and gasoline powered backup systems with transfer switches and neither is hooked up yet. Both are 8500 watt but right now, we are running on a 4400 watt portable generator and backfeeding into a 50 amp welder outlet (yeah, I know, a "high" crime). Main breaker is off and I also turned off the electric hot-water and freezer. So just outlets, lights, deep-well pump, computer, phone, Internet server and one refrigerator and all works fine on the one generator except the microwave is a little slow at making breakfast.

Generator that is running our house right now started out as a Homelight 4000 watt(4400 watt surge) unit with an 8 HP Briggs gas engine. I got it new from Central Tractor in 1980 for $399. Last year, I ditched that Briggs (never ran right), and stuck on a new Subaru HD telecom engine that has electric start and runs on propane. 7 HP maybe? I know power is derated when using propane instead of gasoline. So this is the first time I tried to use it. I am impressed. Ran our 3/4 horse, 220 volt well pump and all else just fine.

Guess I have to get my big genset and transfer-switch hooked up. I keep putting if off thinking we won't have any power outages in such nice weather?

Neutral current does not always make it's way to the all the breaker panel neutral bars in various buildings when connecting to a welder ground.
Some outbuildings around here with overhead triplex do not bond the ground to the neutral .

Same storm crossed lake Huron and went through the Muckoka last night with hundreds of rural customers out.
http://www.hydroone.com/StormCenter3/

Our co-op has had the outage map for several years , original system relied on their lines to transfer the information back to central. About a year ago they installed a satellite based system. I am at the end of a very remote line. They came out and installed a unit on the last pole that sends a signal up to tell them I have no power. I have a hard wired with transfer switch 20kw generator system and sure would never be without one again.

Jim, I cant follow the wires in the picture good enough to tell if that fuse is perhaps a method to tie A and B (he posted each was a dead end of two different lines) together and should be OPEN orrrrrrrrrrrr is the typical fuse to feed that transformer, BUT it looks like its fed off that B side with the saddle clamp, yet he indicates (not sure have to re read) its HIS A side transformer???????????????????? I just cant see the wires in the picture good enough to tell

Typically you tap off the hot with a saddle clamp (as shown on B) then go to a lightning/surge arrester then a fuse then the transformer and that's what it looks like may be happening OFF THE B SIDE and if so with the fuse open as shown THERES NO POWER TO THAT TRANSFORMER (if its his or not I cant say)

If there or a better picture I'm sure we could figure it out. Most of my experience was in Secondary distribution but I did do some HV Primary.

John T

PS I tried the picture again, I don't envision such a small fuse device to tie the A and B lines together, they are typically (maybe not always it depends) for low current feeding home transformers ALSO it looks like the circuit goes from the B saddle clamp to the lightning arrester then the normal fuse then maybe??? (cant tell in picture) the home transformer BUT HE SAID HES ON THE A LINE and that's his transformer ???????

John T

MY BROTHER SPENT 3 WEEKS IN BURN CENTER WHEN A GENERATOR WAS INSTALLED INCORRECTLEY.PLEASE HOOK IT UP RIGHT .MIGHT SAVE SOMEONES LIFE.

I think you need to define "correctly." Also, what was he doing when he got burned? If he was working for the power company and got burned on a line he thought was dead - then he was doing his job incorrectly.

Brother was rebuilding storm damage. He is a 40 year employee of power company. Idiot started generator while they had been working on line for six hours. Forman took generator from said idiot. Returned it when idiot had proper switching device installed.

Great statement "HOOK IT UP RIGHT .MIGHT SAVE SOMEONES LIFE" As a (retired) Electrical Power Distribution Design Engineer, I sure agree.

John T BSEE, JD

Here in SE Michigan, DTE (nee Detroit Edison) has a very detailed outage map. I think it can show even a single residence without power. A nice benefit of the oft-maligned "smart" meters.
DTE outage map

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back