Pressure plate

CGM

I'm replacing my clutch pressure plate, pilot bearing etc the manual doesn't appear to list a torque for the pressure plate. Is there a torque for any of the pressure plate bolts?
The manual talks about using wooden wedges, but all the videos I have watch do not use wooden wedges when replacing clutch etc. with new parts. Are the wooden wedges only used when reinstalling the used parts?

Wooden wedge magic trick : )

Basically its a tick of the trade that's all.

In theory it keeps the pressure plate in a compressed state for easier instillation it allows you to install the unit in a compressed state for a even instillation. It takes the fight out of the operation.

When possible with the flywheel out mount up the clutch assy on the table measure clutch finger height if all OK and in alignment wedge the fingers. Wood are 3/8" nuts just make sure you catch them are retrieve them once the cover bolts are installed.

Do I do it all the time NO.

Lets take the clutch kit out of the box. Lay the clutch plate on the clutch cover take a finger and press on the edge of the plate does it rock work your way around the plate it should not rock do the same on the flywheel. You are checking for warpage of the plate and working surface. Once in a blue moon you will run across them that will rock all you try will rock you have to run with it and hope for the best. Myself I will delay the job make a run to all the parts stores and check all I can get my hands on.

My luck after hundreds of clutch jobs you will run across a few that will eat your lunch I need to have all the info I can get. Its rare a issue will be with a properly installed clutch. It would be nice if the info was supplied with the kit, the info is a well guarded secret. : (

(quoted from post at 15:12:43 07/22/22) I'm guessing it's the same as the NAA which uses the same clutch setup. That is 15-18 Foot Pounds

And no AIR tools used to run them up. The impact will snap'em off no matter how carful you are : ( BTDT its a ell of a job to retrieve broken bolts in a flywheel.

I think I remembering hearing something like 14lbs in a video on you tube. I did not torque mine, just tightened the bolts down with a short wrench (obviously you do not want to put your breaker bar on there). I did not see any specs in the manual either, so my guess is that Ford didn't think it was important enough to include them.

I just tighten mine in a criscross manner,kinda like with lugnuts on a wheel,but about 1/4 turn at a time once you feel any resistance. I torqued the ones on my tractor at 15 ftlbs with blue locktite.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back