Primer question

Anonymous-0

How long can I wait after priming to apply the top coat? I am working on the cast parts now. If I get it clean and apply the primer coat now and don't get the top coat on until spring will it cause any problems?

Hi Scott,

It depends on the primer. See if there any instructions on the primer can label regarding topcoating. If it's an automotive type primer, see if you can get the manufacturer's technical data sheet from their website for any additional usage information.

If it's an automotive epoxy primer, there is usually a specific time window for topcoating. Typically that would be a minimum of about 30 minutes to a maximum of between 24 hours and several days, depending on product. After that maximum time, the primer needs to be at least scuff sanded before topcoating and with some epoxy products, reapplied as well, to begin a new time window. I have not seen such limits placed on other primers but absent any specific manufacturer's instructions, if the primer is 24 hours or more old and is dry enough to sand (it should be by then), I'd give everything a scuff sanding before topcoating as a prudent practice to get the best possible adhesion of the topcoat.

flag.gif
Rod

As others have said, it depends on the product. I use Case IH Ironguard primer and I will topcoat with IH 2150 red up to a year later with absolutely no ill effects.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back