problem with barn floor setting

JDJACK

Dad has a barn that was build in the 50's by his parents.
The walls are field stone cemented in and about 5 feet in ground. Has what I would call a curve hay mow roof.
Inside, cement is sinking on the outside walls and getting cracks in walls.
So I cut the floor cement and started to remove to see what was going on.
The dirt is settling or going somewhere, there is 6 inches to a foot of gap between cement and dirt, which is why concrete is sinking I don't believe that its rats, (no signs).
I am thinking that the rain and snow off the roof is going along outside of wall and causing this problem settling. Is also settling on the outside some but there is a lot of rocks out there. So it's not as noticeable. But the lawn is lower by wall. My idea is to compact where I have remove concrete and dump sand and let sit for a year and see if it settles more.
and add fill to outside and slope away from barn about 4 feet out.
Someday I hope to own place and don't want barn to be to far gone. Maybe even rain gutters would help if I knew water was the problem. There hasn't been any milking cows in there for about 35 years, used for beef cattle now. Does freeze in there. Is power washed every spring, which I think why the floor is heaving in other spots.
Any ideas or suggest to help concern?

If you can tell by hammer thumping or other means where the voids are, it would be my suggestion to core drill using a 3.5 to 4" bit, then fill each void with concrete based grout. Or remove all existing concrete, compact and level for a new slab. Jim

Have the local concrete ready mix company bring you a load of flowable mortar. Its basically water with sand and cement in it. It comes out of the truck runny as water and flows into all voids. Its cheap to buy also.

Things were not engineered as well in the fifties. The best building I think would have a deeper than normal footing on the walls, overhangs on the roof, & gutters with downspouts. My parents have a barn that has 36" above ground 6" thick walls, & about 12 - 18 inches in ground. They do not have overhangs, & gutters. The outside walls are falling over to the outside of the building. Dad says that's the only reason he can think of. That along with freezing, & thawing. I don't know this; but probably 4, or more inches of gravel; would help stop rain from beating the dirt away against the walls.

Also the foundation below ground level could be broken, & cracked somewhere allowing water to flow in under pressure in heavy rain, & can slowly erode soil on 1 or both sides of the wall. I have a garage doing that; right now!

Figure the volume (approximately) and try filling one area. if it is way to expensive, fill with sand first then concrete-grout. Jim

Long term solution?.....Put a mini-digger in there with a rock hammer and as gently as possible break the floor into the void and then re-concrete. This may sound a bit drastic, but it would give you a chance to put some load bearing polystyrene insulation and a damp proof membrane under the new concrete. You did say you want to own the barn some day? with this new floor if you ever want to change the use of the barn at least you will have a warm dry floor. Fitting gutters would help, but you may have issues with snow?
Sam

Sounds like the floor was poured over organic material like sod and is now decomposing along the edges where it has moisture.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back