I have a 5 star that when running the pto is always turning, I thought the clutch for the pto was stuck but I took it apart and everything is loose, I plan on putting new oil in the rear end. what else would cause the pto to constantly be turning? if i wedge a board alongside it I can slow it down

But you can't stop it?
Many will turn even when "off" due to the heavy oil inside flowing like a water wheel.

My 420S does that, turns very slowly when lever is in the off position. But you can stop it with thumb and fore finger.
that's why I figured I'd put new oil in it to help reduce that affect, so far with the engine running I cant completely stop the pto

I have a 5 star that when running the pto is always turning, I thought the clutch for the pto was stuck but I took it apart and everything is loose, I plan on putting new oil in the rear end. what else would cause the pto to constantly be turning? if i wedge a board alongside it I can slow it down
Many of those MMs of that era did that. Warped plates, and the heavy oil as stated will do it as well. Most wont turn when hooked up to something. If you do hook it up to something with a considerable load like a feed grinder and it still turns like it is on, I would say warped plates.

Many of those MMs of that era did that. Warped plates, and the heavy oil as stated will do it as well. Most wont turn when hooked up to something. If you do hook it up to something with a considerable load like a feed grinder and it still turns like it is on, I would say warped plates.
I'll have to try it on our feed mill, do you know what weight oil to use in the rear end and how much it takes? I don't have a book for this one yet

I am thinking that only certain later models had a pto brake. Most did not and on them the shaft spun when nothing was hooked to it.

No MM had pto brake until the Supers came out in 1966. Was just a spring loaded brake band on back of clutch pack.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back