joexke

New User
my tractor is a 1947 8n that is used only for cutting a pasture with a bushhog. Today the pto was very slow to engage and when it did it was kinda violent. Worked fine afterward but obviously something is wrong. Any ideas would be really appreciated.

(quoted from post at 14:04:15 08/26/23) my tractor is a 1947 8n that is used only for cutting a pasture with a bushhog. Today the pto was very slow to engage and when it did it was kinda violent. Worked fine afterward but obviously something is wrong. Any ideas would be really appreciated.
f you had the clutch pushed and clutch was actually disengaging the transmission input shaft, no part of the PTO should have been moving....thus, no "violence".

(quoted from post at 11:18:47 08/26/23)
(quoted from post at 14:04:15 08/26/23) my tractor is a 1947 8n that is used only for cutting a pasture with a bushhog. Today the pto was very slow to engage and when it did it was kinda violent. Worked fine afterward but obviously something is wrong. Any ideas would be really appreciated.
f you had the clutch pushed and clutch was actually disengaging the transmission input shaft, no part of the PTO should have been moving....thus, no "violence".
of course that is true. the slow and violent engagement occurred when the clutch was released.

I'm not sure I am following correctly.

When you say the PTO was slow to engage and was kind of violent do you mean the PTO lever itself was slow to engage when you pulled it into gear, with the clutch disengaged (pedal pushed down) and was violent when it did?

Or, do you mean with the clutch pedal down (clutch disengaged) the PTO lever itself engaged ok but as you let the clutch pedal up, to engage the clutch, the PTO slowly started turning the brush hog which shook violently and was noisy as it started to turn, smoothing out as it came up to speed.

If the latter is the case, a blade may have been stuck in a folded back position causing the brush hog rotating element to be out of balance as it started turning. That will take a bit more effort to start it turning and will cause shaking and noise until the speed is great enough to cause the blade to swing out, bringing the rotating element back into balance. Mine will do that at times.

(quoted from post at 15:06:19 08/26/23)
Probably debris under the deck and the blades chopped it up when you let clutch out.

Did you look for parts of a dog or cat?

I can't say about the slow starting part.
The spinning parts are all direct drive off
the pto with no slippage possible anywhere
other then your clutch.
Maybe just perception?
The violent shaking part is understandable
however.
If the blades on the stump jumper were
sitting somewhat as shown when you let the
clutch out they throw the balance all out of
whack and it will shake not only the mower
but the whole tractor for half a second.
Mine does that on occasion but it is not a
concern.
I don't think you have a problem.

cvphoto161827.jpg

Are you using an orc?
Check it for proper operation.
It should ratchet 1 way and not turn the other.
The springs in mine broke allowing it to spin freely in both directions causing a somewhat violent engagement when the clutch was released.

(quoted from post at 04:48:15 08/27/23) Are you using an orc?
Check it for proper operation.
It should ratchet 1 way and not turn the other.
The springs in mine broke allowing it to spin freely in both directions causing a somewhat violent engagement when the clutch was released.
INGO !!! Thanks rambofirstblood.

(quoted from post at 08:04:19 08/30/23) ORC's need greasing often, they are a wear item as everytime they "overrun" they are wearing.

You should change that "often" to every day that you plan on getting on that tractor and using that ORC.

True you must grease often.
Mine was packed full of grease and the itty bitty leaf springs still broke.
Used it to mow about 4 acres about 10 times.

mvphoto109189.jpg

(quoted from post at 13:41:47 08/30/23) True you must grease often.
Mine was packed full of grease and the itty bitty leaf springs still broke.
Used it to mow about 4 acres about 10 times.

mvphoto109189.jpg

Well, no wonder they broke...how did that quarter get stuck in your ORC? :wink:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back