Dean

Recently, folks, I've been selling off things that I've acquired (or kept) over the past decades in order to simplify estate management for my son who lives 1,800 miles away.

FWIW: I've noticed that CL ads have once again become more effective after some time when such was not the case. Same ads, same prices, no results in the past but things selling now. Why? I think it is because of stimulus checks. What do you folks think?

Sorry for the tangent. My post is about an antique push plow, which just happens to be the next thing on my list of things to post on CL.

Sometime, just before my memory in the early/mid 50s, my Father bought a push plow with several attachments from the local feed mill/farm store. He used it along with his favorite tool, a hoe, to set out and tend his garden until returning from vacation in the summer of 1959 to find the garden overwhelmed with weeds at which time he bought his first roto-tiller from Western Auto. I was ecstatic! I could now spend a few enjoyable minutes behind the Wizard roto-tiller with 3 HP Clinton engine and much less time with my hoe.

But, again, I digress.

Shortly, I will list my Father's push plow with attachments on CL, yet have little idea of it's value. It's always been inside and one can still read the manufacture's name (Empire) and model # on the right side handle. One can also read the name of what may be a distributor (or manufacturer) in Cincinnati, OH on the left handle. Incluced is a 5 shank cultivator (I hated pushing that thing), two shanks used for creating a seed furrow for corn, beans, etc., and (Can you imagine!), an unused moldboard of probably 4-6 inches. Neither my Father nor I pushed the moldboard to plow a garden but, apparently, some folks did. I guess that's why it is called a push plow.

Apparently, push plows were still available untly recently, and one can still find listings for new ones on the net but all indicate none currently available.

Not trying to sell it here, folks, but thinking that my Father's push plow should be listed at abour $150 on CL.

What do you folks think?

Memories.

Dean

Sounds like the old big front wheel push cultivator ourneighbor always used. Have'nt seen one in years but a "collector" or a "Yard Art" person may be interested. As always price is between you and a buyer, list it for what you think its worth but be ready to make adjustments for the market demand. gobble

I have two of them and use them. I keep the plow on one and the 5 tooth cultivator on the other one. The plow is the best thing for making rows of hilling potatoes. New ones are still available

I searched the net for new ones and found listing but all said "currently unavailable" and have for some time.

Dean

Dean: assuming what you're calling a push plow is what I've always known as a big wheel cultivator, or, probably more universally, a high wheel cultivator, they're still easily available. Lehman's has one, and I'm linking Earth Way's below, which is $136, and more than likely other places sell them as well. They're still used in the obvious places like Amish country, as well as many other places by people practicing minimal-impact gardening, either by choice or necessity.
High Wheel Cultivator

Grew up farming with one of those . The old ones were built a lot better than the new ones . I bought one a few years ago and it bent with my big furrower on it I used to plant potatoes and gill potatoes and corn and cultivate with One

Pictures and a model number would help a lot
cvphoto47077.jpg

My ancestors....Saskatchewan Canada......

NO FREE hand outs........:)

Doukhobor Women toiling in the field pulling a plow in 1903 in Saskatchewan, Canada. History Historic Historical Photos Photographs Pics Pictures Vintage Old West Canadian Settlement Prairies..

Bob....
cvphoto47146.jpg

cvphoto47147.jpg

On the inside of the right handle is EMPIRE and MODEL 2 RURAL.

On the inside of the left handle is THE KRUSE HPV(?)E COMPANY CINCINNATI, OHIO.

Dean

Called a high wheel cultivator and flee markets want about twice what actual market value is and even there asking prices are half of what you are thinking. I bought many over the years for an Amish machinery dealer.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back