RE:JD 2040 Algae in fuel filter, replaced, ran for 5 minutes

Jim.ME

Something seems to have possessed the original post, given I never replied to it.

Tx Jim has given you some good info. Here are my thoughts to go with his.

First, actually clean the tank and outlet valve if you have not done that. Blow the fuel line between the tank and transfer pump out. Then blow the line from the transfer pump to the filter out. Replace the filter. Check and clean the small filter located below the inlet fitting of the injection pump shown in Tx Jim's post. Put fresh fuel in with some biocide treatment and lubrication additive. Prime it (just pumping the little lever on the transfer pump until you feel resistance is not the complete priming process, bleeding the air out is required along with the pumping). Use the lever on the transfer pump to pump fuel first to the filter where you open the bleeder plug on the top of the right side of the housing, pump until clear fuel comes out with the plug loosened, then tighten the plug. Next, loosen the bleeders on the pump and continue hand pumping until clear fuel comes out (bottom first then the upper one). Next you will likely need to bleed the lines to the injectors, as it sounds like it may have gone completely "dry". To do this loosen the nuts on the lines from the injection pump at the injectors. Crank the engine over with the starter until fuel spurts out the lines as it cranks, the hand primer will not put fuel to the injectors, the injection pump must do that. Be sure the tractor is in neutral or park before cranking. crank in 10 to 15 second bursts, giving the starter a minute to cool between crankings. Do not get hands around the injector lines as any spray from them could get injected under the skin and cause serious, if not fatal, injury.

Get an Operator's manual as well as a service manual. OEM manuals are best in my opinion. There are some good reprints and some poor quality. eBay is a place to get used OEM manuals. There were several 2040s so be sure you get the ones that are correct for your tractor. If you want the John Deere website for AG manuals is: https://techpubs.deere.com/ You can search for the right manuals for your tractor (have your serial number at hand) or there is a number at the top left of the page you can call for help.
[/u]

As I understand it, if the existing panel is well grounded and since you shouldn't have 2 grounds, leave the neutral and ground separate. Problem is that with two grounds, you
could have current flowing between them. Thats a dangerous situation. Or, if you're unsure of the current ground, be sure it's disconnected, then bond the neutral & ground
together at the generator, and ground the generator as you should with portable power.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back