Re: John Deere B Brakes

Pete in MD

You don't need to remove the snap ring to remove the first reduction cover.

Remove the nut under the small cover. While pulling out on the clutch lever hit the end of the shaft
with a lead hammer to drive it out of the bearing which will stay in the first reduction cover. Get
some help as the cover is heavy.

Thanks for the reply! That worked like a champ, I was afraid of damaging the cover without instruction from someone who knows.

The bearing behind the first reduction gear needs to be replaced. Can that be done from this side or does it come out from the other side?

If you're asking about the bearing under the small cover you can use a punch from the outside of the
first reduction gear cover and knock out the outer race of the bearing. If there is a snap ring
remove it first.

I was actually talking about the bearing on the inward side of the first reduction gear. After further inspection, I need to replace a couple of the bearings inside the gearbox so I'll probably replace all the bearings if I can find them.
I've checked my usual sources for tractor parts but I haven't been able to locate the bearings.
Does anyone have a source for the gearbox bearings?

Do you have a parts book? If so, look up the number and check directly with Deere.
I think there's also an online parts book, but I don't have the link for it. I'm sure someone else does. Perhaps they'll post it.

I check with Deere, I'm waiting to hear back on whats avaliable.

FYI, All John Deere tractors parts list can be found on Deere's website. Complete breakdowns with part numbers. They are printable too. I had to "Control P" to print them as there wasn't a print option on the website.

Thanks for your help.
I'll report back when I find out whats available.

To replace the big gear on the input shaft, it has to come out from the inside. Much disassembly required.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back