Re-restoring the 51 MT

tstex

Hello to all,

It's been quite awhile since I've posted, but I hope everyone is doing great.

The 51 MT has been down at least since 2012 in a shed covered by a tarp. I am going to get her back up and running, and wanted to know what you guys suggest I do before cranking her up again, or try to get her running.

1.I pulled the carb and need a carb rebuild kit. I also need a few of those felt retainers for the brass parts on bottom of lower carb bowl? Any suggestions?

2.I was going to change the oil, oil filter, oil breather/bath, TOM Fluids, drain old gas and replace w new [clean sediment bowl too] and see if the radiator fluid needs changing. If so, I'll use distilled water and premix antifreeze at about a 70-30 water/antifreeze ratio - does this sound correct?

3.Perform a lubrication of all the key areas per the MT maintenance guide [Thanks JD51MT]

4.Before I perform (2) above, provided I get her started, should I run her a bit to get all the fluids moving around, or drain and refill everything before I start her? Since she's been idle for 3-4 yrs, would it be safe to assume some condensation is in there that has not been burned off?

If there are any other things you guys recommend, pls let me know? I sure do appreciate your help and advice. Great to be back on the boards.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas and a safe, healthy New Yea

Regards,

tstex

Good to hear that you're ready to get the 51MT running again.

"<font color="#6699ff">[b:654c4848f0][i:654c4848f0]I'll use distilled water and premix antifreeze at about a 70-30 water/antifreeze ratio - does this sound correct?[/i:654c4848f0][/b:654c4848f0]</font>"

Presuming by your name [b:654c4848f0]tstex[/b:654c4848f0] that you're from Texas, down here a 50/50 premix ratio should work.

"<font color="#6699ff">[b:654c4848f0][i:654c4848f0]provided I get her started, should I run her a bit to get all the fluids moving around, or drain and refill everything before I start her?[/i:654c4848f0][/b:654c4848f0]</font>"

You might consider loosening the 3/4in. pipe plug on the bottom of the oil pan to allow any condensation to drain out.

You might consider checking the oil cup on the bottom of the air cleaner assembly.

Make sure it has clean oil with no dirt or water contamination.

"<font color="#6699ff">[b:654c4848f0][i:654c4848f0]would it be safe to assume some condensation is in there that has not been burned off?[/i:654c4848f0][/b:654c4848f0]</font>"

You might consider removing the spark plugs and turn the motor over to blow out any condensation.

"<font color="#6699ff">[b:654c4848f0][i:654c4848f0]If there are any other things you guys recommend, pls let me know?[/i:654c4848f0][/b:654c4848f0]</font>"

You might consider charging or replacing the battery.

Using a test light, check for a good ground at the battery terminals, power to the starter switch, power to the ignition switch, power to the coil, and power to the points.

You might consider replacing the points, condenser, and plugs.

Check for spark at the new plugs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks James...I always pull the battery each time I use it to prevent eating the new paint. I have kept the old battery on a 6V charger on and off, but I think a new battery is in order.

I was considering the points and condenser, and I even think I have new set anyway. I try and see if I get a spark upon cranking, and if I do, then their good... Also have 2-3 extra set of auto-lites as well... pulling the plugs though is a good idea to get any crxp out of there....I appreciate the follow-up.

PS - They used to run these old things w 100% water and temps up to 215F or boiling...since no water-pump, that was the way that the water was best moved...I think if you are up N, you run a higher anti-freeze ratio to prevent the block from freezing and cracking...and yes, in S-SE TX, I do not think anyone's radiator fluids have ever frozen.

We have installed new radiators in all 3 or our 51MTs.

Checked the temperature gauges in boiling water on all 3 and each one will register 200<sup>o</sup>+.

On the tractor they register a little lower.

a208617.jpg" width="650"

In the Summer, water is added as needed.

Only check the antifreeze before the first cold snap.

Our farm is near Omaha, TX in Morris County NE Texas.

pop the valve cover off and make sure the valve keepers are in the correct place. They come out and drop valves down on top of pistons. Been there done it.

Thanks for feedback.

"the valve keepers come out and drop valves down on top of pistons." How does this happen and is there anything in particular that would help make this happen? Thx again

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back